"This will be easy" and other dumb@ss things to say on brewday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonM

Reaction score
So, I had an idea to make some a really simple lawnmower beer from an experimental recipe. Got the ingredients and figured I'd brew whenever I could find the opportunity.
Saturday night rolls around, SWMBO says she's not feeling well and asks if we can just stay in. I immediately started on the lawnmower brew.
This is going to be easy, I thought, so sure, I'll have another beer. And because this recipe is so simple, and this is going to be easy, I really don't need to pay attention so I think I'll watch Spinal Tap and, sure, I'll have another beer.
Well, missed my mash temp by a lot, poured the sparge water in with the valve open, got a hopelessly stuck sparge and, once i got the boil on, SWMBO says she's feeling better and wants to go out.
I'm sure it'll work out and be good beer, but that's the last time I say "wow, this is going to be easy!" on brewday.

Classic. Sounds exactly like something that would happen to me. I'm going to have to be sure not to say that myself. =)

Just like whenever you do something for the first time, and think "this will only take me X minutes/hours"... Usually, reality is at least 2-3x longer than you thought it would be... Of course, depending on how good you are, it could be as low as 1.5x or as high as 10x...

One of many reasons I don't have more than 2 beers total in a 6 hour brew session. Sometimes you need to be sharp and make some critical decisions.

On that note, before I learned my lesson, I used to invite tons of people over and drink a lot while brewing. I've missed targets, forgot ingredients, spilled hot liquids, etc.

"This will be easy," or "this will be fun" + beer + distractions = potential disasters.

TB

On that note, before I learned my lesson, I used to invite tons of people over and drink a lot while brewing. I've missed targets, forgot ingredients, spilled hot liquids, etc.

Yeah, having people over on brewday for me would be bad. There's always that 'something' you're not prepared for. ...and no doubt, I would wind up ****ty even before I was ready to mash... That would make for a long, unenjoyable afternoon.

Kinda like my second batch ever. I was hovering over the kettle watching for signs of a boilover and thought, "wait, relax, and since I actually have some homebrew, I can relax don't worry and have a homebrew!" I sat down on the other side of the kitchen, opened a bottle from my first batch ... and immediately got a boilover.

JonM said:
Kinda like my second batch ever. I was hovering over the kettle watching for signs of a boilover and thought, "wait, relax, and since I actually have some homebrew, I can relax don't worry and have a homebrew!" I sat down on the other side of the kitchen, opened a bottle from my first batch ... and immediately got a boilover.

I have had that exact same thought. 'Relax. Don't worry. Have a HOOOOOOO SH--!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, having people over on brewday for me would be bad. There's always that 'something' you're not prepared for. ...and no doubt, I would wind up ****ty even before I was ready to mash... That would make for a long, unenjoyable afternoon.

I'm pretty much the opposite of this. It seems like when i'm brewing, grilling, and running after a wild three year old, that i can easily keep track of time/temps/hop additions. But when the only thing I'm doing is brewing, I tend to watch a movie/troll on hbt and totally lose track of what's going on with the beer.

go figure. :cross:

Happens all the time to me, just when I get to know what I am doing good old Murphy kicks me in the shorts.

Last brew day for me I thought " hey this will be easy, my whole brew crew is here, I can have an extra brew or two cause I got so much help" yeah right. My buddies got drunk as sailors and all of a sudden completely forgot what to do. Didn't help that we're doing a 30g batch of IIPA in two different kettles started at two different times (one of them showed up late with the other propane burner). Now I got drunk people yelling "when do we add this what do we do next". that day was far from easy..

Back