Why I think that metal (music) is like beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funnycreature

Beer Crafter, Metalhead \m/
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Growing up in Germany taught me thing or two. One of them is that metal and beer just go together like, well, beer and metal! Is it coincidence that the drinking age (for beer and wine) is 16 in Germany and the metal crowd is huge? I don't think so! No stupid "X" on hand of under-21s or BS like that. Drink, bang your head, and have a great time!

Based on this observation I thought what other similarities there might be between beer and metal. And here's my list:

• Both are big in Germany; wearing metal shirts/vests and drinking beer in public is almost normal
  • Lots of good stuff appeared in the 80s
  • Regional specialties, e.g. Florida death metal, West coast post-black metal; Kölsch in/around Cologne, Weizen in Bavaria etc.
  • You might get a headache when consuming too much
  • Reinheitsgebot Beer: Yeast, hops, water, barley; Reinheitsgebot Metal: Bass, guitar, drums, vocals; there are only a few acceptable adjuncts
  • Annoying/overwhelming when too experimental
  • You’ll never forget your first love
  • There’s a style for every situation; if you don’t like it, you haven’t found the right one yet
  • There are more males involved in the hobby than females
  • Most commercialized stuff is mediocre or plain bad
  • Covers/labels/logos are an important part of the complete product
  • Hand-made is still best
However, the biggest difference for me is that I can make beer but could never make good music!

Please feel free to add to the list! :mug: :rockin:

Metal usually seeks to be extreme and these days, many beers are pushing further and further to the extreme. Metal was born out of rebellion to traditions and norms, many beers these days strive for the same.
So, in that aspect, I disagree with the experimental part of your list, in reference to traditional styles, that is. So if you were to add accordions to something like Darkthrone, it would probably sound bad, just like making IPAs with Belgian yeast tastes bad, in my opinion!
But completely agree that commercialized equals bad.
I love metal and I love beer! But I don't love all metal and certainly don't love all beer. I am mainly for traditional styles for both metal and beer. Although, my favorite band lately has been Finntroll, and they certainly aren't traditional. Just love that they've blended polka and death/thrash metal.

I love metal and I love beer! But I don't love all metal and certainly don't love all beer. I am mainly for traditional styles for both metal and beer. Although, my favorite band lately has been Finntroll, and they certainly aren't traditional. Just love that they've blended polka and death/thrash metal.

It's all in the blend, as you said! I would never [seriously] criticize someone for their taste in beer or metal but I know what I like. For example, I've never liked
Meshuggah although technically they are [apparently] amazing. I love folk-influenced black metal too but at some point it is too playful for me :D

I guess no one else cares about metal and beer. Oh well!

I will berate someone who claims to be a metal head and love hardcore. That ain't metal! It sucks! A lot of modern metal sucks, too. I haven't found a new band in a while, sadly. As Darkthrone put it, "It's just lame, plastic, and weak!"

I think black metal is kind of dying...it just gets lamer and lamer. While beer is getting bigger and bolder. Bigger does not always mean better. Faster music does not always mean it's better.
I like balance. A nice balanced beer goes down nicely. Just like I enjoy music that is mid paced or has a nice mix of slow and fast.

Enslaved for the win! A good beer is like Enslaved. Technical, yet balanced, smooth, mature, and refined.

I guess this is more of a difference between the two: beer is never around for long, but metal... will survive nuclear holocaust.

BMC is like Darkthrone... TOO COLD! (except I love Darkthrone)

Both metal and good beer get funny looks from 'regular folk' until they take the first swig.

I actually decided to name my beers related to something metal and come up with some witty description for each. Check out my gallery:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/photo/albums/beer-labels-7763.html

I also named my "home brewery" to reflect my passion for metal:

BB_clean_xs.png

I guess this is more of a difference between the two: beer is never around for long, but metal... will survive nuclear holocaust.

BMC is like Darkthrone... TOO COLD! (except I love Darkthrone)

Both metal and good beer get funny looks from 'regular folk' until they take the first swig.

The individual beer (i.e. bottle/pint) might not be but look at some of the breweries or styles! They've been around for centuries :mug:

I guess no one else cares about metal and beer. Oh well!

I will berate someone who claims to be a metal head and love hardcore. That ain't metal! It sucks! A lot of modern metal sucks, too. I haven't found a new band in a while, sadly. As Darkthrone put it, "It's just lame, plastic, and weak!"

I think black metal is kind of dying...it just gets lamer and lamer. While beer is getting bigger and bolder. Bigger does not always mean better. Faster music does not always mean it's better.
I like balance. A nice balanced beer goes down nicely. Just like I enjoy music that is mid paced or has a nice mix of slow and fast.

Enslaved for the win! A good beer is like Enslaved. Technical, yet balanced, smooth, mature, and refined.

That's why I *love* metal archives - They usually do not put hardcore bands up!!!! :rockin:

Thats true, I wish prohibition had not have f-d all of our old ones, I've read about a lot of legendary American breweries. the only ones that survived where producing near-beer or malt extract (for baking;) riiight) so when it was over they where the only ones with modern equipment... sh*t I'm kind of a history nerd.

Anyway, I was referring to my own brew, it goes way faster that 5 gallons ever probably should

I name some of my beers metal names. I try to come up with good names, but sometimes they don't quite sound right. Too Cold Ale would be good. Or maybe if you're into whiskey or bourbon beers you could name one Whiskey Funeral Stout or something. "F*cking forced to sleep! in this life...enough time to be sober in death!!"

I love the direction Darkthrone are taking. I definitely go through phases of beer and metal though. Right now I'm on a German beer kick. Lately, I haven't been so much into super fast stuff...more like Drudkh, Enslaved, Finntroll (which are kinda fast I guess...just not a lot of blasting or double bass).
I spent years listening to and playing drums in the style of Marduk, Belphegor, Decapitated, 1349, etc. I grew tired of that kinda stuff, even though I still love all those bands.
Concurrently, I spent years drinking nothing but IPA and many American styles. Now, I'm sort of back to more balanced styles, mainly German.

You guys hear about Varg? He got arrested for being suspected in a terrorist plot in France! What a *******!

That is an awesome logo.

Thanks! I had it made by this chap:
http://modblackmoon.narod.ru/

Very fast and cheap, and he/she knows what they're doing :rockin:

I name some of my beers metal names. I try to come up with good names, but sometimes they don't quite sound right. Too Cold Ale would be good. Or maybe if you're into whiskey or bourbon beers you could name one Whiskey Funeral Stout or something. "F*cking forced to sleep! in this life...enough time to be sober in death!!"

I love the direction Darkthrone are taking. I definitely go through phases of beer and metal though. Right now I'm on a German beer kick. Lately, I haven't been so much into super fast stuff...more like Drudkh, Enslaved, Finntroll (which are kinda fast I guess...just not a lot of blasting or double bass).
I spent years listening to and playing drums in the style of Marduk, Belphegor, Decapitated, 1349, etc. I grew tired of that kinda stuff, even though I still love all those bands.
Concurrently, I spent years drinking nothing but IPA and many American styles. Now, I'm sort of back to more balanced styles, mainly German.

You guys hear about Varg? He got arrested for being suspected in a terrorist plot in France! What a *******!

My latest two beers are called "Pure Hopsocaust" IIPA and "Creamatory" Cream ale. My "Heimat" Kölsch is in the fermenter :D

Tastes in music will change over time as does taste in beers. I come form Germany and I didn't know anything but Kölsch, Weizen, and Pilsner. But now I really enjoy (I)IPAs.

Tastes definitely do change. Although, I go back to my roots now and then. That's fun. I got started with Dimmu Borgir, Morbid Angel, Opeth, and Belphegor back in 2003. I'm kind of a late bloomer to metal. Even though my first album I ever bought was a cassette tape of Metallica's ...And Justice For All back in the early 90s when I was like 11 at a garage sale.
I usually use things from movies for names rather than music. I have a black IPA called None More Black, reference to Spinal Tap. Also reference Young Frankenstein with one a couple years ago called Nice Hopping IPA.
But you've inspired me, I think I will try to name more of my beers after things in metal/music. Shouldn't be hard to find good names...

Not "Lick My Love Pump"? haha. "What's wrong with being sexy?" "SexIST!"

Or a Turbo Shandy clone named Turbo Lover?! Being from Upper Bavaria,& a metal head since it first started...even played it for awhile...how bout some descriptive German metal?

The song is about a guy & his buddy,his buddy agrees to let the guy eat him. True story they said was on the news about a year before they wrote the song. Stage show was about cookin him,so...

Last edited by a moderator:
I like some Rammstein now and then. I also play metal. I'm a drummer and get down with some of the blast beats and double bass. Here's my most recent band if any of y'all are interested...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU452j5O89c

The thing about using metal stuff for beer names as they can get quite long. I tend to like simpler names or one word names...Empty Field Eloquence just doesn't sound right for a beer name. Or metal names often just don't fit beer in my opinion. Calling an Imperial Stout "Black Death" or something like that might be fine. 1349 has some cool names for songs. "Beyond the Apocalypse Stout" or something like that would be cool.

In that case,how bout Resenrot! ha. Or sonne...Music reminds me of late 80's into the 90's. I used to be able to play up to 430 beats per minute. but those 10-15 minute opuses really murdered my right arm. Funny how it's my left had that's partly numb with arthritis? Haven't played in a while,been meaning to have another go at it. I'm looking at another name for an IPA I derived from my own all-NZ hopped Maori IPA that folks seem to really like. And my #2 son turned me on to Tankard,they're cool. Their gutar sound is very much like mine. Customized '83 flying V through a Fender rock pro 1000 half stack.

Nice setup, I'm jamming tonight with my B.C. Rich '84 NJ series and Peavy 5150 half stack. My drummer buddy and I play a mix of grincore, noise rock, and doom. no recordings worth listening to yet, they aren't online anyway.

I concidered the 5150 amp at one point. But the rock pro 1000 has either tube or solid state settings,among others. the tube setting gives a smoother growl. I have the portastudio MKIV as well. Cassette recording,but digital with analog controls.

Has anyone else seen Tankard live? :D

Was lucky enough to catch them at a small gig in Marburg and it was phenomenal. Hard to imagine that the front man is regularly stage diving (or at least used to).

Regarding Rammstein - Yeah, they were good in the mid-90s but they are one of the bands where I have to say their style gets old after a few songs. Usually I'm all for consistency and not changing style but they're just dull.

Idk...I still really like their style. i like how they keep to what made them famous,like megadeath. Besides,the lead singer sounds cool as always.
Anyway,I'm trying to come up with a new name for my other IPA. It'll come to me eventually...:drunk:

Agreed, I used to have a practice tube amp that I used to mic up to play gigs with my old punk band, I'll describe it as meatier sound. funny I actually traded that amp to partially pay for the 5150, the band I was with at the time was going for a louder, more buzzy sound (we played crust-punk) they are still playing too:

Last edited by a moderator:
The misic sounds a lot like some of Motorhead's stuff. Dang,I need new wires & such. That & my pedal borad amp controller got caught in this flood we had in the basem,ent one year. all the houses in this developement are on a little rise,so the whole place turned into the Florida Keys. gotta rewire the board & get other replacements. I still wanna give playing another shot.

So glad to hear how many fellow brewers listen to the good stuff. I'm a metal/hardcore fan myself.

I like bands like The Ghost Inside, August burns red and Darkest Hour. But it's awesome to see all of the love for European and black metal too!

I really don't hear a lot of music that I don't like just like there aren't many beers I don't like. But of course I'm a bandwagon IPA guy just like the rest of the world.

However, you won't hear me passing around Sierra Nevada and pyramid as my choices. I'm much more into the Pliny-Meister and that east coast zombie dust.

I really don't hear a lot of music that I don't like just like there aren't many beers I don't like.

I'm with you on that, some folks have been suprised when they learn that I love classic country and traditional celtic music. And I don't exactly want to drink BMC but I will, and if it's Yeungling Amber Lager I will actually enjoy it!

I my "punk" day we used to straight guzzle Pabst Blue Ribbon, damn I've turned into an expensive drunk

I'm with you on that, some folks have been suprised when they learn that I love classic country and traditional celtic music. And I don't exactly want to drink BMC but I will, and if it's Yeungling Amber Lager I will actually enjoy it!

As I stated in my OP: There's a time and place for all kinds of music :mug: I prefer going to a country bar over a hip hop joint any day! And Celtic music is also very nice and relaxing, if not innately sad somehow.

EDIT: And call me traitor but when I went to MDF the past 6 years or so I always packed tons of Miller Lite (yes, I said it) just because I could drink it all day without feeling dead drunk and dehydrated. It just drinks like water!

As I stated in my OP: There's a time and place for all kinds of music :mug: I prefer going to a country bar over a hip hop joint any day! And Celtic music is also very nice and relaxing, if not innately sad somehow.

EDIT: And call me traitor but when I went to MDF the past 6 years or so I always packed tons of Miller Lite (yes, I said it) just because I could drink it all day without feeling dead drunk and dehydrated. It just drinks like water!

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”

― G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse

Yea when I know I'm gonna be drinking like that, I always bring a few homebrews and drink 'em with the yeast. brewers yeast is full of vitamin B complex which helps you rehydrate quicker and thus improves hangovers. since I live in a state where "hangover cure" is still illegal:(

My band/style is clearly not on the same wave length as y'all's...I've been jammin' Nile today. "In Their Darkened Shrines" \m/

roastquake, dig it. Not the style I normally listen to, but it ain't bad!

I also listen to electronic music, mainly darkstep or hard drum n bass. Black Sun Empire being the main one. And newer Skinny Puppy/OhGr. But an awesome mix is Ministry! "Psalm 69!!"

For my personal preferences, I tend to not like much American metal, with a few exceptions. I think Scandinavia has it down as well as most of Europe. I might say the same for beer...at least for Germany anyway. At least for good lagers and malty beers.

My band/style is clearly not on the same wave length as y'all's...I've been jammin' Nile today. "In Their Darkened Shrines" \m/

Nothing wrong with Nile at all buddy! When I saw them live the first time in 2000 I think I was blown away! Their latest stuff doesn't impress me as much anymore but I regularly go back to their first 3 or so albums :rockin:

Nothing wrong with Nile at all buddy! When I saw them live the first time in 2000 I think I was blown away! Their latest stuff doesn't impress me as much anymore but I regularly go back to their first 3 or so albums :rockin:

I am pretty damn picky with my music as well as my beer. I take both pretty seriously. Life's too short to listen to bad metal and drink bad beer. I stay away from anything that's too plastic or too commercial.

Hell yea, Nile was my first live extreme metal exposure I saw em way back at a local festival in Augusta GA called bloodfest probably around 1999/2000, people where leaving saying they didnt like the vocals, but I was mesmerized, been into sick sh** ever since

Back