Sorachi Ace - Spicy Notes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannPM

Reaction score
Does anyone else get a spicy element, almost pepper-like note, from Sorachi Ace hops?

I have never brewed with SA but I just got a pound in and so I will chime in once I brew with them. Any suggestions?

MB, I really liked the American Wheat I brewed with it, the dominant lemon flavor from SA goes really well with the soft malt flavor from the wheat and really well with the crispness from most American Wheat yeast strains.

DO, I didn't get the pine flavor but I do enjoy piney hops :)

I got just a creamy lemon flavor and aroma from them. I've used in them in a summer ale and a Saison and had a similar profile. Wonderful hop!

ScottSingleton said:
Poop! and I struggled to find 4oz. :/

I got a pound of leaf Sorachi Ace and a pound of leaf Simcoe from the Brewtensils online store a week or so ago. It looks like they still have SA in stock.

New Belgium uses the sorachi ace hops in their spring seasonal APA "dig." Really good beer. I mostly get lemon from them. NB pairs them with the nelson sauvin and cascade hops. You could try a similar APA.

Here is what I have come up with for a recipe. Any input is appreciated.

Honey Lemon Wit

4.5 lbs Weyermann Pilsner Malt
4 Unmalted Wheat Berries
4 oz Honey Malt
4 oz Oats
.25 oz Sorachi Ace leaf at 60 min
.25 oz Sorachi Ace leaf at 10 min
.5 oz Lemon zest at flameout
Wlp400 Belgian Wit

Back