Plate Chiller WOW!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sacdan

Reaction score
I used my new plate chiller last weekend. I chilled an 8 gallon batch from boiling to 75 degrees in less than 3 minutes. It literally chilled down as fast as I could pump it from the kettle. I bought the longer, 30 plate 12.4"x2.9" from dudadiesel. I usually make 10-12 gallon batches. It usually takes about an hour to cool down and 40-60 gallons of water with my immersion chiller. I now use my immersion chiller as a pre-chiller. I put the immersion chiller in ice water and run the water through it to the plate chiller. This is an awesome addition to my brewery! :ban:

I agree. I have the same one you have but only use that as my chiller. We've had a very warm summer in South GA but with the water around 73 degrees, I am cooling 5/6 gallons in less than 10 minutes.

So are you doing one pass through the chiller, and into your fermenter, or do you recirculate back into the kettle? Also, are you able to open the chiller for cleaning, or do you just flush it with boiling water afterward?

I use an IMC, and it's my least favorite part of the day. Takes anywhere between 20-50 minutes depending on what time of year. In the summer I pretty much can't get it to temp w/o ice and that still takes forever.

I go straight from boiling, through the plate chiller, and into the fermentor. I do pass the tap water through my immersion chiller that is sitting in ice water. No recirculation of wort. As far as cleaning, I just pumped boiling water through it to clean it so far. I will probably bake it in the oven to clean it out in the future. This is one of the best investments I have made so far for brewing.

I got the thirty plate chiller as well- chilled a 10 gallon batch of pum king today in very little time. much better than an immersion chiller

Quit saying nice things about plate chillers! I've only used my homemade immersion chiller twice!

Latest posts

Back