I must have brewed an awsome beer today...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yellowirenut

Reaction score
Because my brewday was FUBAR!

Gather all my materials last night for a nice morning brew. Crushed the grains... that crush looks to fine. I will add some rice hulls it will be all right.

This morning filling the HLT, water leaking out of pipe joint (i had ran PBW threw last week with no leaks) Dump the water and re braze connection.
Awesome I now have water from my new filter and fire. Both steps in the right direction!

At 150deg add water to tun and mash in. Temp looks good, Go in the house to grab more coffee and a cookie. Return temp is now 185 WTF. Toss the probe thermometer into the yard and grab an old by metal. Temp 132..sigh. Add a bit of boiling water to bring temp up. First running great. Batch sparge and get stuck. (remember the crush being to fine?) Mini pump also has grain stuck in the impeller.
Picked up the frickin cooler and dumped the contents threw a fine mesh strainer into a bucket. dump bucket into brew pot. Bunch of stuff ended up in the brew pot, lit that fire and boiled away.

The boil actually went great. All my additions worked out. Cooling was nice and quick due to the cold weather. My final OG was 1.054, on the low side for a Saison but within range.

Transferred from kettle to bucket, lidded and brought into the house. Transferred to better bottle and into the ferm chamber. Cool things are looking up I am thinking. Back outside to wash everything down. Rinse the little grains stuck to everything down the driveway and plan on running Oxyclean threw the system. Take apart the filter to dry and ARRGGG, i forgot to remove the plastic covering before inserting into the housing. So I just used chlorinated city water in my Brew.

Gently tossed everything into the garage and will wash everything later after I calm down. I need a brew and a steak.

Did I mention it started to snow half way threw?

My set up before the whole endeavor.
KIMG0210_zpsdftyrzcr.jpg

Ha gotta love those days. I like to use the old fishing saying. A bad day brewing is always better than a good day at work. Of course it doesn't apply if you are a pro brewer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thankfully I slept through it. I work nights, and this is my weekend on. I imagine If I'd seen any more of that accursed substance littering the ground, I'd be tempted to commit arson on a large enough scale to melt it all.

Back