The best racking cane filter ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glynn

Reaction score
Nothing more frustrating then not being able to get all of your beer out of a secondary because of dry hopping with leaf hops. The answer is brussle sprouts, well at least the bag they come. The other day at work while emptying brussle sprouts out of there plastic mesh bag, it dawned on me that this might be the answer to all my problems. well maybe not all of em. After rounding up 10 of these bags I went home and tried it and it worked flawlessly. I took one bag and folded it in half and placed it over my cane tip and wrapped a rubber band around it. Never has getting all of my beer out of a secondary been so easy and i got every drop and not once did it clog.

I use one gallon paint strainer bags for "filtering". Sounds like they're a similar type bag and they work great.

The mesh on these are much bigger the holes are about 1/4 in

I cut a piece of 2"x2" vinyl screen (like you would see on a screen door), and zip-tied it.
Seemed to work pretty well for the last few dry hopped brews Ive done. Its actually become a fixed piece on my racking cane.

pict

IMAG0098.jpg

IMAG0100.jpg

if i am not mistaken oranges come in larger versions of the same type bag

I use a SS tube thing that was gifted to me by an older homebrewer. Holes are about 0.5mm across, works great for filtering out pellet hops after dry hopping.

Yah.. but it is a foodsafe plastic.. what is the recycle number? :eek:

We are all so concerned about plastics for FV's and BB's and (insert).. Why worry about that so much if you are going to do this?

Just sayin'..... :)

We are all so concerned about plastics for FV's and BB's and (insert).. Why worry about that so much if you are going to do this?

I would call that a legitimate concern, but not one that I would worry about.
Letting the wort or beer run through this vs. sitting in something made of this plastic are going to have different results.

Still, I'm leaning more to trying to figure out a good funnel / stainless screen option.

Do I look worried :D considering it held food and i don't plan on sticking it in hot wort. I personally think it will be fine. beside at my age and with everything else I've put into my body over the years. I don't think a little fv/bb (whatever that means) can do anymore harm then i have already done

Uhhh, I think it was all tongue-in-cheek. I personally don't worry much about what my buckets say on the bottom as long as they are clean.

Sometimes a message doesn't do a good job of saying something with a twinkle in the eye. I'm def not a plastic nazi..

Uhhh, I think it was all tongue-in-cheek. I personally don't worry much about what my buckets say on the bottom as long as they are clean.

Sometimes a message doesn't do a good job of saying something with a twinkle in the eye. I'm def not a plastic nazi..

ROFL i got your tongue-n-cheek message ;)

Back