Sam Adams Cream Stout (down economy version)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroovePuppy

Reaction score
I had hoped to do an all-grain next but apparently turkey fryers don't get cheap until after Christmas. Instead I plan to try something close to a Sam Adams Cream Stout based on this clone.

BeerTools.com Recipe Library - SAM ADAMS CREAM STOUT clone

I made some tweaks for various reasons. Switched some of the extract to late addition to reduce caramelization and improve hop utilization. I may use Light DME instead of Wheat. I already have Light and if the only difference is head retention I can live with that. Also switched the Fuggles to Willamette to use up what I have in my freezer. Last change is to use Wyeast #1098 harvested from Nut Brown instead of the WLP004 (equivalent Wyeast #1084).

Anything jump out at anyone that won't work. I realize the flavor will be slightly different and I won't have the same head but my aim is to use up my stock of DME, hops and yeast while making tasty brewskies at least somewhat reminiscent of the Sam Adams. :D

The 2.25lb steep should be fun. :drunk:

Oh yeah, according to BeerSmith my SRM is way too dark. My LHBS doesn't stock Roasted Barley. Should I use US Black Roasted Barley?

Sam Adams Cream Stout (Hop tweak)

Type: Extract
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2 lbs Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) Dry Extract 25.81 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) Dry Extract 32.26 % ] Add at last
1 lbs Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 12.90 % ] 15 mins of boil
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (620.0 SRM) Grain 12.90 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 9.68 %
8.0 oz Roasted Barley (500.0 SRM) Grain 6.45 %
1.00 oz Williamette [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 16.4 IBU
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (15 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
1 Pkgs British Ale (Wyeast Labs #1098) [Starter 125 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.90 %
Bitterness: 30.6 IBU
Est Color: 55.7 SRM

#1 your cheap. Go allgrain.
#2 I can't help you with your recipe, but I did read how you "hated" that no one responded to your thread.:D

OK, I'll actually help. US Black Roasted Barley is roasted barley, a little more... roasted. I second the suggestion to use onlt light extract. Use light on every batch, the others have other malts in them to get the color, light is just base malt. Rely on your specialty grains for the color.

*sigh*

Yes I'll try AG soon but I couldn't get my turkey fryer with the second pot I need.

Yes I'm being cheap but I just don't want to waste the ingredients I have.

Yes I love replies!

Thanks for the "actual" help! :D

Latest posts

Back