Saison with Brett recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gometz

Reaction score
So 2013 was the year that I discovered brett and saisons, so I think it is about time I try to make one. I reviewed a couple of different recipes (Tank 7, Saison Brett, and El Cedro) and came up with this recipe. Does it look like anything will clash? I am a little worried about the Admiral hops since I have never used those.

Method: All Grain
Style: Saison
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)
Original Graivty: 1.063
Final Gravity: 1.004* (estimated because Brewer's Friend seems to underestimate WY3711)
IBU (tinseth): 40.62
SRM (daniels): 9.35

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
10 lb Belgian - Pilsner 37 1.6 80%
1.25 lb German - Munich Light 37 6 10%
1.25 lb German - Wheat Malt 37 2 10%
12.5 lb Total

Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
0.5 oz Admiral Pellet 14.5 Boil 30 min 19.33
1 oz Columbus Pellet 15 Boil 10 min 18.87
1 oz Saaz Pellet 3.5 Boil 5 min 2.42

Mash Guidelines
Single step infusion. 90 minutes at 150*F

Yeast: WY3711 French Saison (w/ starter) and WLP645 Brettanomyces Claussennii (no starter). Pitch together.

Fermentation
Start at 68*F, let free rise to 75*F and hold for 2 weeks . Leave at room temperature (65-75*F) for 6-7 weeks. Prime and bottle and condition for 2-3 weeks before drinking.

Again this is my first time using brett, so I don't really know too much about how to handle to fermentation temps or conditioning part of it. Any help is appreciated.

1) I don't think you have your IBUs correct. Seems high for that amount of hops. You might want to check your numbers.

2) I wouldn't use 3711. As a personal preference, I don't like that yeast. In this beer, I think it will consume most of the sugars leaving little for the Brett. You do need a flavorful Belgian yeast, and not a standard English or American. Some people believe the brett mainly works on the sacc by-products, and a low attenuating yeast like 3711 may be preferable. It does work on the yeast esters (which is why you want a Belgian yeast), but I'm not convinced that is everything. I believe the brett needs at least some sugars to work on.

3) The beer will not be done in 10 weeks. Maybe 10 months. The Brett will probably not be noticeable at 10 weeks. Bottling when you are planning to may be too soon.

4) The Columbus ate 10 minutes may have too much flavor. Belgians generally have low finishing hops, and are often English style hops. The 1 ozs of Saaz may be sufficient for the finishing hops.

5) For conditioning with Brett, keep it at room temp and you will be fine (65 to 85 F).

Checked my IBU's, Ranger gives me about 33 instead of 41, not sure if that seems closer?

I chose the WY3711 because it is close to what Jester King uses (according to their brewer), and I really enjoy their beers. My thinking was pitching the yeast and the brett at the same time would allow for the brett to consume more sugars early on before taking over in the later stages. But considering the schedule, maybe I should just skip the brett and stick with just a saison (though would bottle conditioning with it be a better option then?).

The columbus at 10 is actually stolen from the El Cedro clone recipe (and what is possibly the real recipe if you look at the pdf) https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/el-cedro-jester-king-clone-441462/index3.html

Here are the two recipes I stole from:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/ce...oned-brett-el-cedro-clone-446605/#post5723148
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/saison-brett-255734/

I love the 3711 yeast. That was what jester king used as there farmhouse strain. They have since switched to only using the wild yeast they have collected from what I understand. For a typical saison I would cut back a little in the late addition of Columbus. But I love how this yeast works with the hop aromas. Now with adding brett to primary I would recommend bulk aging it for a while. It will take months for the brett flavours to come through. Also that would waste your big aroma hop addition. 3711 will have no problem getting the beer to 1.004. So I would mash higher to allow the brett a liitle more to chew on. If you want to bottle condition with brett I would recommend going with what you have now.

I've been dialing in my Saison recipe. After satisfaction with the grain bill, this last batch (4th) was split 3 ways for yeast. White Labs Saison II, Saison III and Wyeast 3711. Wyeast Brett Brux was added at kegging.

I mashed 154-156, and the 3711 dropped to 1.007 compared to the others at 1.011 after 2 weeks which is when I kegged and added the Brett from a half gallon of the base wort which was fermenting those 2 weeks. That Brett was only at 1.018. My grist has 10% each of wheat, rye, oats, and sugar.

At 6 weeks the Brett was already noticeable. So 10 weeks will be enough to get some character, but of course it will increase with time. 3 of the 4 batches have had Brett and each time I can taste its presence at 6 weeks.

The end result of this batch was selection of Saison III as my preferred strain to use. The DuPont is second which was used in an earlier batch, then 3711 which seems more fruity and less complex to me. I don't like Saison II at all. I used it twice. Very musty aroma and flavor in my opinion.

So 3711 can leave food for Brett if you plan for it. Alternatively you can pitch them together. The 3711 with a starter will still allow it to dominate, but the Brett can get some growth going early as well. Start tasting at 6 weeks just to see how it develops.

I have decided to leave out the brett and use it to funk up a kolsch I have (splitting the batch, half normal, half funk). That one will sit for 5 months before i bottle it.

As for the Columbus, i think i will only do 0.5 oz at 10 and then use the other half oz for dry hopping.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back