Ryes through the ashes IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmex41

Reaction score
I think this will be my next brew.

Looking for some thoughts on a smoked ipa

5.5 gal batch
10lb 2row
2lb rye malt
1lb CaraRye
1lb Cherrywood smoked malt Briess

1oz Summit (18.1%) 60min
1oz phoenix 10, 5 and flameout steep
2oz dry hop

I don't know the AA% of the phoenix hops, but the summit hops will lend about 50IBUs
Est OG 1064
SRM 11
Est FG 1015
6.3% ABV

Edit: after emailing the lhbs they told me the alpha % is 10.2% so I decided to cut the 10 and 5 min addition to half oz which should get me roughly 65 IBU
I'll also cut the smoked malt down to half pound and replace it with half lb of table sugar at the end of the boil.
In all reality I think I will scale this recipe back to 1 or 2 gallon test batch so I can do it Biab style on the stove then do a full 5.5 gal batch in the future.

Just my opinion, and based on using smoked malt but not THIS smoked malt, I'd cut the smoked malt by half. The flavor threshold for smoke is pretty low, and can over power pretty fast. HOWEVER, looking at your hop IBUs, your pound might be okay. I wouldn't go more, though.

I'm actually considering smoking my own malt but if I don't get the chance to ill cut the smoked malt in half and see what that gets me.

While I can't comment on the smoked malt because I don't really care for smoked beers I just wanted to say I love the name. Phoenix hops, that's awesome. :)

Ive never used them before but I saw them in the hop storage fridge at my lhbs so I looked them up.
Read mixed reviews about them as a late hop addition, but the description said mild floral and spicy notes. I though it would pair with the rye malt.

Back