Peace Coffee stout porter blend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewhemoth

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

any one have any idea WTF Peace coffee stout porter blend from NB is? I have a recipe here for the beer, and it calls for 4.0 oz of Peace Coffee Stout Porter Blend... I am guessing it has something to do with coffee grounds or beans? how can i replace that with 'natural' ingredients since NB does not deliver outside USA?

grain bill as it stands:

Marris Otter Pale Malt (3.35 KG) 7.3 Pound
Premium Quality Cara Kristal mout 250 e (230 Grams) 05. pounds
Thomas Fawcett Chocolate Malt 900-1000 ebc (230 Grams) 0.5 pounds

then it calls for this peace coffee craziness blend (4oz in secondary)

Wyeast 1028 XL London Ale

+ 1 ounce of NB at 60.

any suggestions?

I think they are just saying that a company called Peace Coffee made a special blend of coffee just for their stout/porter.

I'd add it as they say or you could do a cold brew or just run it through you coffee pot. Up to you and I've done it all three ways.

Peace coffee blend is just the brand name. Just add 4oz of your favorite coffee blend as the instructions say if you can't get peace coffee brand.

Thanks a lot guys. I have been reading on the forums for a long time but never felt the need to open an account. Opening one up has been one of the smarter brew related moves in a while! Thanks for being so quick with the responses.

So iyo, how many grams would I want to be using? Are we looking for something quite strong, or would it be better to make it weaker and add to taste?

Which result dd you like best mtnagel? I would personally lean towards the cold brew

Welcome. I owe most of my (limited) brew knowledge to this place.

As for adding coffee, there is much debate on the method of addition, when to add it and how much.

How much is pretty much personal preference. Have you had Founders Breakfast Stout? I think that coffee level is perfect for a coffee stout. I just brewed a clone and in order to get that much coffee flavor, I added 2 oz coarsely ground at flameout and 2 oz coarsely ground into secondary for 1 week. If you are going for a coffee stout, I'd start at 4 oz coffee and then go up or down the next time depending on if you liked it.

As for when to add it, there are several options, at flameout, in secondary and at bottling. I think most people add it at secondary, but there is lots of room to experiment there.

The most debated part is how to add the coffee. When I first did it, I brewed a concentrated pot of coffee (4 oz ground coffee in ~6-8 cups water), cooled it overnight and then added to secondary. I thought that beer tasted great. Many people will tell you that the brewing process is too hot and will extract the bitter compounds out of the coffee, but I drink brewed coffee daily and obviously like it.

So the next time I brewed, I cold brewed the coffee. Basically I took room temperature water, added the coffee grounds, mixed and let it sit out for about 24 hours. I then filtered and added it secondary. The beer was good and I guess the coffee was smoother, but I preferred the first beer I made with the brewed coffee better.

Then for the Founders Breakfast stout clone, I followed the directions on the BYO website, which called for 2 oz coarsely ground at flameout and 2 oz coarsely ground into secondary for 1 week. Again, people will say that you shouldn't add the coffee when the wort is that hot. My clone is very young, so it's hard to say now, but I think this beer is great. But I think to experiment next time I'd cool the wort down 180 or 190F before adding the coffee after flameout.

Hope my wordy response helps.

thanks Matt - that was a sick reply. and definitely has me re-thinking/considering taking out the ole 1 gallon carboys for this :).

you mentioned yours is still young. how long (i know this is a VERY broad questions) do you typically let yours sit? what kind of fermentation steps and bottle conditioning steps would you recommend for the kind of grain bill i posted?

thanks Matt - that was a sick reply. and definitely has me re-thinking/considering taking out the ole 1 gallon carboys for this :).

you mentioned yours is still young. how long (i know this is a VERY broad questions) do you typically let yours sit? what kind of fermentation steps and bottle conditioning steps would you recommend for the kind of grain bill i posted?
1) coffee stout - sat in primary for 20 days. I added brewed coffee to primary after 10 days. I don't remember how long it lasted, but I remember the coffee tasted great until I drank it all, maybe 6 months later.

2) coffee/chocolate stout - I have in my notes that I transferred to secondary after 5 days, which definitely isn't true, so maybe it was 15 days later? This one I added the cold brewed coffee into secondary as well as cocoa nibs. It sat in secondary for about 2 weeks. As I said, I liked the first one better despite what everyone says about using hot brewed coffee vs cold brewed coffee. I did just try another after about 9 months and surprisingly the coffee flavor is reduced. I wasn't expecting that.

3) FBS clone - 2 weeks in primary, 3 weeks in secondary. Added 2 oz coarsely ground coffee at flameout and 2 oz coarsely ground coffee into secondary for 1 week. Jury is still out as everyone says to let this one age at least 4 months as it will peak by then, but the couple I've had at about 3 weeks and 4 weeks after bottling were excellent. Very coffee forward, but I like that.

So I would say this would be excellent to experiment on different coffee addition methods if you can. I'd love to hear the results as I didn't do a true side by side/single variable comparison. The first 2 batches were less than a year after starting brewing, so I was switching from dry to liquid yeast and still learning a bunch.

But I would say a good starting point would be 2-3 weeks in primary. 2-3 weeks in secondary. If adding coffee in secondary, do it with 7-10 days left. If not doing secondary, wait at least 4 weeks and add coffee 1 week before bottling. Hope that helps and definitely report back on whatever you do.

you're the man Matt! thanks again for some great ideas. We will unfortunately only be brewing two stouts next week and the week after. this is one, the other will be an oatmeal. will let you know what we end up doing with the coffee in any case - but it will be a little while till things get tasted. i drink about 16 double espresso's a day so most likely hot brew in secondary i think :) we will see how it goes. i do like the split grounds in boil + secondary idea as well.

it's going to be a 20L batch. i believe that is in and around 5 gallons? our pot is quite small (max capacity 24 L and we usually end up with approximately 17L in primary (18 if lucky) and about 2 full crates of .33 cl bottles final product when all is said and done.

another thing worth mentioning is that we do BIAB. I was wondering - through the dark in there with the base, or mash, and then add dark during the final infusion &/or sparge? other alternative (that worked nicely with previous dark beers) is to make a warm tea of dark grains and add that once the wort comes to a boil. i have no idea about our water chemistry so it's tough to say how the dark roasts will affect Ph in the mash. if i had more time/money/kit i would try all... life is tough right now :)

hey guys,

regarding the use of Oats. my pack says to cook for 30 minutes. that means it's raw and needs to be cereal mashed right? for the cereal mash, do you boil the oats and then put both the water and the oats into the mash, or only the oats? any tips?

hey guys, as promised!

the stout has been on the bottle for about a week. i got impatient and popped one about 5 or 6 days in. and i do mean POPPED. big pop after such a short stand in the bottles.

we ended up using a peruvian blend in about 1 L with 4 ounces of coffee. did about 28 hours at embient temp. now, we forgot to pre-boil the water and we didnt have anymore coffee so we pitched it into secondary anyway thinking: "learning experience". went away for a weekend and came back to condensation on the lid of the squar/bucket and a solid layer of white, almost shiny gunk. did NOT look good and i thought it would be undrinkable. we bottled a week later anyway. the white stuff had big (2CM) bubbles on it and it looked really bad. definitely figured it would be contaminated. as we siphoned into the bottling bucket, all of the white stuff just stuck to the sides of the fermentor and left us with a pretty clean looking bottom layer of beer.

this one turned out fantastic. the bitterness was mainly from the hops and very little from the coffee. what we do get is a VERY apparent, smooth, fruity coffee flavor that hits the top of the palate and helps to finish nice and clean. very, happy with the finished product and happy that we didnt do the hot brewed coffee - i think it would have overpowered the flavor and left it less subtle and likely more bitter/tart. Will hopefully still have a chance to try a hot brewed addition, but i think this is what we were after.

worth mentioning that we also are trying to re-use a small 5L paulaner keg and will report on how that turns out...

it looks like this:
https://www.google.nl/search?q=paul...net%2FTags%2Fkeg%2Cmini%2FInteresting;180;240

and the bottom spigot pulls out and has a twist release. there is also a twist release valve at the top in the rubber bung so you open it from the top, serve from the bottom, and finish on the day of.

Weird that you think you got an infection from the water or coffee. I definitely didn't use boiled water when I cold brewed mine. I just used water from our PuR pitcher and added it to the coffee and waited 24 hours. No issues for me. Glad you think you salvaged it though.

I'm actually brewing another coffee stout on Thursday. Planning on adding it after the boil at about 200F as that's what I've heard is the ideal temperature for brewing coffee.

Let us know how it compares Matt!
(ps. I'm not a schizophrenic - there are two of us using thus account and thus all the "we" s)

I just transferred to secondary (for second coffee addition) on Sunday, to be bottled next Sunday and then it's will be a month or so before tasting. I also added a bit of oak to this one and it will be 4 months apart from my first batch of this coffee stout, so my gut tells me I won't be able to tell the difference between the batch with the coffee added at flame out and at 195F, but we'll see.

Latest posts

Back