Goose Island IPA Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pschatz12

Reaction score
I had a GI IPA for the first time at my wedding food tasting and absolutely loved it! Im looking to brew this as my first all grain batch and would like some much appreciated advice. I found two recipes that i'll attach the link so hopefully someone can help me out. I don't know which one to brew or if someone has a better one for me to use. Thanks you guys so much.

Here are the link to one recipe:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/28343/goose-island-ipa-clone

Heres the other recipe:

12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 92.31 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 7.69 %
1.00 oz Styrian Goldings [3.80 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 23.1 IBU
1.00 oz Styrian Goldings [3.80 %] (30 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.75 oz Cascade [7.20 %] (30 min) Hops 14.8 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.30 %] (15 min) Hops 6.9 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.30 %] (10 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [7.20 %] (5 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
2 Pkgs Safale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Hi - I know this post is from over a year ago - but I'm looking for a Goose IPA recipe, did you ever brew it? If so how did it turn out?
Cheers
Leigh

I have never had GI IPA but the hops schedule for it in Mitch Steele's IPA book looked interesting so I brewed something similar based on the hop schedule. The book doesn't give much as far as the malt bill. It just says "100% Special Pale Ale Malt". It doesn't give much for yeast either. It just says "GI proprietary English Ale yeast or similar".

The book lists the hop schedule as
16% Pilgrim: 60 minutes
60% Styrian/24% Cascade: Whirlpool additions
66% Centennial/34% Cascade: Dry hop

I e-mailed GI to see if I could get more out of them but no cigar. This is the first time I attempted to get some IBU's from a whirlpool addition. The theory is that if you whirlpool prior to chilling, you can get some utilization out of the hops (since the temps are high) while retaining flavor and aroma.

There is a nice write-up on the technique here:
http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/03/hoppy-beers-and-whirlpool-hops.html

The beer I brewed came out a lot bigger than GI. This was my first time using Pearl malt and I wasn't expecting 80% efficiency.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 1099
Yeast Starter: 2L
Batch Size (Gallons): 6 Gallons
Original Gravity: 1.070
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV: 7.5%
Boiling Time: 60 Minutes
Mash: Single step infusion @ 150F

12 Lbs Pearl Malt
2 Lbs Vienna
1 oz Challenger: 60 Minutes (Subbed for Pilgrim based on inventory)
3.75 Styrian/1.75 Cascade: Whirlpool for 20 minutes
2 oz Centennial/1 oz Cascade: 7 day dry hop

At 7.5%, this batch is barely within style guidelines but it is tasty. The bitterness is really smooth and it has a lot of hop flavor. If you want to get closer to GI, adjust the grain bill appropriately. I will likely keep the grain bill the same and bump the hop additions up 25% next time I brew this.

*note: head retention and lacing are great

IMG_1630.jpg

Thanks for the input - all great information!

I'm actually fairly new to brewing and still using DME (moving to the States in a year - so waiting 'till I get there to invest in new equipment)

I've had good results with the Sierra Nevada clone recipe on here - but always felt like it needed more hop flavour. So I'll give this a go with DME and a hopbag of grain and try the whirpooling/steeping too to get the most out of them hops.

Let you know how it turns out
Thanks Again
Cheers
Leigh

I am a fan of goose islands IPA and have enjoyed it on many occasions. Particularly when getting into homebrewing because the beer is reasonably priced, delicious, and the labels seem to fall off the bottle with effortless ease.

Its been a while, but this recipe has me thinking about trying a clone batch myself.

your recipie looks pretty good according to the website:

Style: English Style India Pale Ale
Alcohol by Volume: 5.9%
International Bitterness Units: 55
Color: Bourbon
Hops: Pilgrim, Styrian Golding, Cascade, Centennial
Malts: Pale

What did you get for IBU's

I am a fan of goose islands IPA and have enjoyed it on many occasions. Particularly when getting into homebrewing because the beer is reasonably priced, delicious, and the labels seem to fall off the bottle with effortless ease.

Its been a while, but this recipe has me thinking about trying a clone batch myself.

your recipie looks pretty good according to the website:

Style: English Style India Pale Ale
Alcohol by Volume: 5.9%
International Bitterness Units: 55
Color: Bourbon
Hops: Pilgrim, Styrian Golding, Cascade, Centennial
Malts: Pale

What did you get for IBU's

The IBUs were kind of a stab in the dark since I don't know how to calculate steeping/whirlpool additions. To get an estimate, I plugged those whirlpool hops into Beersmith as 15 minute additions and got 55.9 IBUs.

If you want to get closer to GI, cut the Pearl malt back to 9-10 lbs. This was my first brew with Pearl but I have used it a couple times since then and I am consistently getting 80%+ eff.

Nice this is on my list of brews to do.

Im Curious. How would you describe the difference pearl malt makes from regular 2-row malt.

thanks

I think you could make a nice beer with 2-row. English malts are more readily available to me and I chose Pearl because it's flavor is meant to be more subtle than MO. If you do choose 2-row, keep in mind your eff might not be as high as what you'd get with Pearl. Pearl is the only malt I have gotten over 80% eff with.

My version of Goose Island IPA is admittedly not exact but my wife likes it. It's a partial mash BIAB recipe for 5 gallons.

3.15 lbs. Light Maris Otter Liquid Malt Extract – Northern Brewer
1.0 lb. Light Dry Malt Extract – Breiss Golden Light DME 4°L
4.5 lbs. Warminster Floor-Malted Maris Otter Malt
12 oz. Caramel 40°L Malt Domestic Briess
6 oz. American, Carapils (Dextrin) Malt Briess
6 oz. White Wheat Malt
1.75 oz. Centennial Hops (1.0 oz. pellets, 10.5%AA) boiled 60 min.
1.0 oz. U.S. Fuggles Hops (pellets, 5.3% AA, 2.6% BA) boiled 15 min.
0.25 oz. Centennial Hops (pellets, 10.5% AA) boiled 15 min.
1.0 oz. Cascade Hops (pellets, 6.4% AA) boiled 2 min.
1 tsp Irish Moss boil 30 min.
1 tsp. Gypsum to boil pot prior to wort addition
Wyeast 1968 London ESB Yeast
¾ cup Corn Sugar for priming bottles or 1/3 cup corn sugar for kegging.

O.G. 1.063 F.G. 1.016 6.2%ABV 9 SRM and 75 IBU, boil volume 5 gallons
90 minute mash at 151 degrees F. The LME addition is just after flameout. I ferment for one week at 68 degrees F, transfer to a secondary for another week at 68 degrees F. I usually keg my batches. I really like to use the 1968 yeast for this. I know that Goose Island uses Pilgrim, Styrian Golding, Cascade, Centennial hops but I can't get Pilgrim but maybe can get Target as a substitute and I can get Styrian Goldings. I'll try to better match the hops in future batches. This is my wife's favorite and it always comes out well.

Latest posts

Back