any one try stone's session ale? its amazing..can anyone imagine hop schedule?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boss429

Reaction score
like I said try it if you havent buy it and try it, but for anyone who has tried it and got good taste buds you think you can imagine the hop schedule.

it says centenial, amarillo, simcoe, citra hops

check this video out gives the hops used if I remember correctly

[ame="http://vimeo.com/14466454"]http://vimeo.com/14466454[/ame]

It's a great session ale. Tons of hop flavors and an even better hop aroma with a dry finish that accentuates the hops to their fullest. This beer begs a hop head like me to take another sip on a warm, sunny So Cal day. Kick Ass beer, A+++

The latest Beer Advocate magazine listed a recipe for Kelsey Mcnair's West Coast Bitter Ale. I am not sure if Stone used the extact same recipe but there was like 10oz of finishing hops. 5oz at knockout and 5oz for dry hops. I believe they were, amarillo, simcoe, citra, columbus and chinook.

Again, I am not sure if this is the recipe Stone brewed up for distribution or just the homebrew recipe that won the contest. If anyone brews this, let us know how it turns out.

Kelsey's West Coast Bitter

5 Gallons
OG: 1.042
50 IBU's
90 minute boil

Rahr Two-Row 88%
Cara-Pils 5%
Crisp Crystal 77L 5%
Honey Malt 2%

Mash 158* - 60 Min
Mash Out 168* - 10 Min
Sparge 170* - 90 Min

Warrior 40 IBU's - 60 Min (Pellets)

.25oz Tomahawk - 30 Min (Pellets)
.25oz Simcoe - 30 Min (Pellets)

.25oz Amarillo - 15 Min (Pellets)

1oz Simcoe - 0 Min (Whole)
1oz Amarillo - 0 Min (Whole)
1oz Tomahawk - 0 Min (Whole)
1oz Chinook - 0 Min (Whole)
1oz Citra - 0 Min (Whole)

1oz Simcoe - Dry Hop (Pellets)
1oz Amarillo - Dry Hop (Pellets)
1oz Tomahawk - Dry Hop (Pellets)
1oz Chinook - Dry Hop (Pellets)
1oz Citra - Dry Hop (Pellets)

Wyeast 1056 (Ferment @ 67)

Again, I am not sure if this is the recipe Stone brewed up for distribution or just the homebrew recipe that won the contest. If anyone brews this, let us know how it turns out.

Kelsey's West Coast Bitter

5 Gallons
OG: 1.042
50 IBU's
90 minute boil

Rahr Two-Row 88%
Cara-Pils 5%
Crisp Crystal 77L 5%
Honey Malt 2%

Mash 158* - 60 Min
Mash Out 168* - 10 Min
Sparge 170* - 90 Min

Warrior 40 IBU's - 60 Min (Pellets)

.25oz Tomahawk - 30 Min (Pellets)
.25oz Simcoe - 30 Min (Pellets)

.25oz Amarillo - 15 Min (Pellets)

1oz Simcoe - 0 Min (Whole)
1oz Amarillo - 0 Min (Whole)
1oz Tomahawk - 0 Min (Whole)
1oz Chinook - 0 Min (Whole)
1oz Citra - 0 Min (Whole)

1oz Simcoe - Dry Hop (Pellets)
1oz Amarillo - Dry Hop (Pellets)
1oz Tomahawk - Dry Hop (Pellets)
1oz Chinook - Dry Hop (Pellets)
1oz Citra - Dry Hop (Pellets)

Wyeast 1056 (Ferment @ 67)

HOMG, that's a lot of hop aroma! I gotta get my hands on this!

HOMG, that's a lot of hop aroma! I gotta get my hands on this!

I would try to find a bottle soon. This beer is meant to be drank ASAP! You really want to take advantage of all those hops. Im gonna crack my 2nd one tonight.

yea i bought all the ones left at my local store...hey IPA4ME did it say how many days dry hop? I just imagine its like 10 days or something but I really dont know I'm a newb

yea i bought all the ones left at my local store...hey IPA4ME did it say how many days dry hop? I just imagine its like 10 days or something but I really dont know I'm a newb

Nah, it didn't specify but I would imagine anywhere between 7-14 days should be fine. I usually dry-hop 7 days and I get a huge aroma in my IPA's. That's with about 3oz of hops.

I just dry-hopped my Pale Ale today and used Kelsey's hop bill. HUGE!!!
I'll probably bottle it this Saturday.

You guys think I can mash that at 158 and get 76% attenuation using that wyeast 1056?

beer is 4.2% alcohol btw

I calculated it

1.042-1.032=1.01

1.01 is FG if you want 4.2%

and 32/42= 76% attenuation

I agree that the aroma is great in this beer. The beer itself is meh IMO. I remember trying it at the AHA rally at Stone (it won which is why they brewed it) and didn't like it then. I guess I just thought it would get more flavor somehow. Oh well.

I just called my local Stone distributor, they haven't heard of it, and obviously don't have it. I'd love to try this.

It's available in stores, right? Or is it just a pub deal?

It's available in stores and pubs. My bar has been pouring it all week and I've had a few. I think it's pretty solid but doesn't stand up to another beer brewed similarly, drakes 1500. That beer had a lot more aroma and flavor. Granted, it's 5.5% instead of 4.2%, but I would work more off of that beer and back off the malt to get the more sessionable abv. I know the brewing network had a podcast with the drakes brewers describing how 1500 is brewed. You may want to look into that. It may help you in putting together your beer.

anyone know where I can get session ale on tap in sandiego?

btw how many batches of this beer will they brew?

I will try to get a hold of drakes 1500 sooner or later and see how it is. It does sound good simcoe and amarillo.

Likely at one of these places.

Hamiltons
Toronado
Pizza port solana or Carlsbad
Obriens
Downtown Johnny browns
San Diego brewing company

Also possibly at the stone bistro in Escondido or maybe even at the homebrewmart since many of ballast points brews are there to sample

Back