Any ideas on a Boulder Brewing Cold Hop clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madbaldman

Reaction score
I was thoroughly enjoying a six pack of this beer over the weekend. The label calls it a "British Stlye Ale". To me it seems to capture some of the best features of both British and American styles. Does anyone have and recipe ideas for a partial mash approximation of this beer?

From their website (and a little bit of math):
OG: 1.062
FG:1.010
IBUs: 46
Malts: Marris Otter, Honey malt, Cara10-15
Hops: Willamette, Saaz, Hallertau, Hercules
Dry Hop: Nelson Sauvin

My recipe would go:
90% pale malt extract
5% honey malt
5% Cara15

Add hops to get to 46 IBUs. I'd probably just do Willamette and Saaz for bittering, but you could use all 4 varieties if you really wanted to. Most of the aroma will come from the dry hops.

Thanks! I didn't think to check Boulder's website. I also didn't realize this stuff is 6.8% ABV! It goes down so easy I had no idea. Guess I should read the label. :drunk:

A lot of good breweries will have enough info on their sites that with a little math and common sense you can come close enough. A "true" clone I think is pretty much impossible and not worth trying, but it's really easy to make a very similar beer that you may like better.

Yeah, I was just looking to get something close. I'm pretty sure my LHBS doesn't carry Nelson Sauvin hops either. I also may try to tone down the ABV also.

Back