Our trip from 5 to 10 Gallon Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaggybudd

Reaction score
This is mostly for anyone out there who might be interested in our process to move from 5 to 10 gallon batches. And to answer any questions on why we did something a certain way versus a different one. And also to take pointers on next steps. :)

This is what we've done to move up to 10-gallon batches (so far).

Part1: Converting Kegs to Keggles

We borrowed an angle grinder and built a rig so that it would cut a "perfect" circle off the top of the keg. We measured just a little wider than our false bottom for the mash tun (12.25" for our current false bottom, we have not decided on getting a larger false bottom yet). The rig you see is just a pvc pipe that we notched out the top of going down the keg and secured the handle of the grinder to it. Pretty simple stuff. After the top was cut off we of course ground down the edges of the hole (it was pretty sharp). And next is to sand it down farther.

rig.jpg

A little warning on the video: it is loud (of course). It was taken by my phone and at the end when I say, "Ow!" it's because I got hit with a little chunk of the grinding wheel that broke off when he finished cutting the keg. :) But it only takes about 3 minutes to cut the top off of one keg.

[ame]http://vimeo.com/28561439[/ame]

kegcut.jpg

Stay tuned for part 2 which will be fittings and attachments for the kegs. I should have those pictures by tomorrow.

P.S. I say "we" and "our" a lot because there are 5 of us that brew together in Dallas, Tx. We take turns and its cheaper. :mug:

Part 2: Fittings

Mash Tun Thermometer
2011-09-05204922.jpg

Boil Kettle Thermometer and sight glass
2011-09-05204755.jpg

Inside boil kettle
2011-09-05204850.jpg

Inside Mash tun
2011-09-05204942.jpg

Yay for my engineering work. :) I welcome and comments or suggestions about anything.

We plan on a single tier system, rims for mashing, and a burner for boil. With not HLT, we will have a small table area on our single tier stand for tools, and ingredients.

Stand will be mostly 1.5x1.5 14 gauge steel tube, welded. 24 inches wide, we hope this will stand the test of time past 10 gallon batches, but for now, we will have supports flush with the top that will hold a sanke keg. with wind screens and heat shields for the burner and valves.

Here is the stand that I designed, cut, and welded. Prior to this I have not welded anything, knowing the basics I used a harbor freight Dual Mig 131 with flux core wire and no shielding gas.

Here is the stand upside down

Here is the rest of the album,
http://imgur.com/a/7pJHO#0

Safety Video

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently 6 guys, I am the engineer and assistant brewer, we have shaggy as the brew master and recipe writer, and our founding father and ceo, also our accountant and business manager, and our taster and salesman, plus our latest addition our wood smith and 55 gallon barrel supplier.

So much easier on the finances when you can split the costs of kegs, freezers, steel, propane, tools, and plumbing among ourselves, rather than funding it solo.

We all have a favorite beer type and rotate each time we brew among the different styles and we each buy the beer for that session.

Also helps that most three of us live together and two more live together, commuting to drink and check on your beer can be a hassle.

Im digging that 4 way fitting you put on the BK. 1 hole, 3 purposes.

The only thing that I have a problem with the way I mounted my valves and gauges is that with the bigger brew stand, I will need a 6" extension that will extend them past the end of the stand.

Latest posts

Back