NSRIMS (No Sparge RIMS) finished finally!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p-nut

Reaction score
I have been working on this thing since November. I wanted to build a no sparge RIMS to experiment with. I figured that if it didn't work I could just add a HLT and go back to fly sparging. I am using a Sanke keg with a Sabco false bottom for the mash tun. The drain is located on the bottom. This worked out great for clean in place. I just scoop out the grains and rinse the rest down the drain and into a bucket. Below the MLT is the lauter grant. I just added this for the last batch. I thought it would be better if the pump were not directly sucking on the MLT. It was pretty easy to match the flow rates. I also lined the LG with a fine mesh bag because some particles were making there way through the false bottom, even after recirculating for an hour. From there the wort goes through the pump and up to the RIMS heater. I intentionally used a 5500 high watt density element to see if It would cause any of the alleged problems. So far I have had no signs of scorching and no conversion problems. The BK is just a 7.5 gallon pot with a 4500 low watt density element. I have made three beers with this setup and was shocked at the efficiency and the grain absorption rate.
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D400

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

like everything but the Honeywell controller :)

(i'm a ALC guy)

this is exactly what i'm looking to do once the weather get's better and work slow's down a little.

dave

That's funny. There is a Jace talking to that Honeywell XL15C. I do like some of ALC's controllers, but I have only looked at them. I like the onboard overrides.

Well what is it?

The grain absorption was around .05 gallons per pound. The first time it happened I thought I had made a mistake measuring, but when it happened again and again I started to believe it. I think it has to do with the bottom draining mash tun. Everything just keeps draining. As far as efficiency is concerned, I am not sure I am calculating it correctly. I just used pro mash to calculate it. It came out to be 83%. I am sure this is not correct. I could use some help with this.

The last recipe I used was

8.0# 2 row
1.0# Vienna
0.5# Crystal 20L

My OG was 1.052.

Wow, that's 80% +. I thought that wasn't possible with a no sparge setup?

I'm guessing I was between 75% and 85% because my volume was around 5.5 gallons. I think this is about right according to what others a seeing.

That looks very close to what I am looking to do from an exhaust setup, what did you use for the fan.

It is a Vortex 6" inline fan. I tried a 4" first and that failed miserably.

83%sounds about right. With no-sparge, it's all about minimizing losses (absorption and "real" dead space). 80% is not that unusual.

I like the setup!

The only deadloss is in the BK and that is only a few ounces. The way the MLT is setup I can drain everything out.

Back