McGuyvered Brewstand, help me ID issues.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeufelBrew

Reaction score
Repainted half the interior of the house and the vaulted ceilings. Purchased a portable scaffold to get to all the high spots. At least that's what I told SWMBO! I saw it as a brewstand from the beginning. Purchase price was $112 at Home Despot.

I've done a hobbled together system with a folding table. I put the MLT on top and transfered gallon pitchers from small pot to cooler for mash. Works ok, but it's tedious and hard to maintain temps. Drain from mash to BK then lift BK to table to drain into fermenter. Definately won't work with 10 gallon batches.

So, here's how I've set up my scaffold as a brewstand. Eventually going to put QD's on tubing and a weldless setup is going on the 30qt pot.
02_28_09_0021.jpg

02_28_09_0020.jpg

And here it is all folded and the planks put away. The scaffold came with 2 metal planks and i made two more with 2x10 and carriage bolts.
02_28_09_0017.jpg

I plan on taking the small pot and stand as well as mash cooler off once mash is done and removing the metal planks above the boil kettle. Don't want to burn myself taking the planks off after the boil.

My question to everyone. What issues do you see? Help me make this work cause it's just too damned fun to repurpose stuff for brewing!:ban:

That looks simple and effective, which I like. You will be needing to stand on a chair to fill/take the temp of the HLT (if you fill it with an RV hose. If you fill it at the sink then just take the temp I guess). I had the same thing going on, but once I installed a sightglass/thermometer I don't have to do that anymore. I just turn the valve and watch the sightglass fill, then fire it up and watch the temp rise. You might consider one of those.

The one thing that I don't like is the propane hose to burner on top shelf, it looks too short and easily caught on something taking the top kettle down on you.

Otherwise I like it, I had been considering the same thing with a larger scaffolding - and have no intention of painting any part of the house!

What brand is it and what is the actual size?

The one thing that I don't like is the propane hose to burner on top shelf, it looks too short and easily caught on something taking the top kettle down on you.

Otherwise I like it, I had been considering the same thing with a larger scaffolding - and have no intention of painting any part of the house!

What brand is it and what is the actual size?

Actually working on putting the tank one rung down on the outside using some hooks. Second tank will stay in lower level to power the larger burner/kettle.

It's a Husky product. I've looked it up on Home Depot and don't recall the exact measurements. About 5' for the top level and about 5' wide.

Just picked up this same scaffolding at an estate sale over the weekend for $35 along with a 5' ladder... Not exactly sure how I am going to set it up as I have a 10gal water cooler as my my mash tun, but I am sure I will figure it out..

Back