How to reduce trub from hop pellets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use pantyhose, you can get them in walmart for about 50 cents a piece. If you have several small hop additions, you can use the peds that you get in the shoe store, just grab a handful. just remember to leave enough room for the pellets to expand

I don't think panty hose are food safe. They are not designed to be used with food or to be subjected to hot boiling water. I would be careful. I would bet most panty hose are made in China (especially from Walmart). I can't trust panty hose when it comes to food.

I would use a wire mesh colander (stainless steel) the kind with hooks on the end and a handle on the other. The kind you find at the grocery store or restaurant supply.

You only need the hop oils so you can strain all of the leaf material out. By pouring the wort through a colander you remove grain dust, hop leafs and you also aerate the wort which will make your fermentation start faster.

Forrest

I typically use muslin bags, but they're not re-usable. I am making a trip to reading china glass (cookware outlet) for just this reason- infuser. Typically used for tea, and are small, but I've seen big infusers the size of a baseball. I read it on a thread before, and if I remember correctly, OP said it worked great!

what about for dry hopping in secondary? Is there a bag that will help reduce trub and not be too difficult to get out of the carboy?

I have used a regular hop bag and weighted it with a large SS ball-bearing, filled with hops, then tied to the bottom of the airlock. Works quite well, but a PITA to get out after the hops get wet and expand. I had to pull one corner out and gradually work it around until the opening is down and dump the contents into the bottom of the drained carboy before I could remove it. Next time I am just going to throw the hops in there and siphon above them when bottling time comes.

I don't think panty hose are food safe. They are not designed to be used with food or to be subjected to hot boiling water. I would be careful. I would bet most panty hose are made in China (especially from Walmart). I can't trust panty hose when it comes to food.

I would use a wire mesh colander (stainless steel) the kind with hooks on the end and a handle on the other. The kind you find at the grocery store or restaurant supply.

You only need the hop oils so you can strain all of the leaf material out. By pouring the wort through a colander you remove grain dust, hop leafs and you also aerate the wort which will make your fermentation start faster.

Forrest

I have used pantyhose for hops for years with no problems. I will usually boil them first to get rid of any dye. they work well for me.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Just to clarify, I'm looking for a solution for pellets- the kind that turn into green sludge at the bottom of the kettle. I prefer using whole hops or plugs, but I just can't find them anymore.

So let me get this straight. Dump all of my hops and everything into the kettle...after cooling, strain using paint strainer into primary? How in the world do you do that if you're using a carboy for the primary?

If you use carboys, you can use this infuser:
BrewInfuser.jpg

Found here.

So let me get this straight. Dump all of my hops and everything into the kettle...after cooling, strain using paint strainer into primary? How in the world do you do that if you're using a carboy for the primary?

When using a carboy as my primary, I whirlpool in the kettle (stir vigorously) then let everything settle. The hop sludge and trub will settle in a cone shape in the center of kettle. Siphon from the outside of the kettle and you will greatly reduce the amount of hop sludge and trub that makes it into the carboy.

When using a carboy as my primary, I whirlpool in the kettle (stir vigorously) then let everything settle. The hop sludge and trub will settle in a cone shape in the center of kettle. Siphon from the outside of the kettle and you will greatly reduce the amount of hop sludge and trub that makes it into the carboy.

+1 for siphoning from kettle.
I use a copper racking cane and a copper potscrubber
(to keep hop leaves out of the chiller).

I use a 5 gallon paint strainer bag from Lowes . While I didn't make a bracket like Edworts I just clip it to the side with clamp pliers. No fuss no muss and reusable

HopBagHolder1.JPG

I use a 5 gallon paint strainer bag from Lowes . While I didn't make a bracket like Edworts I just clip it to the side with clamp pliers. No fuss no muss and reusable

Absolutely! I've been using paint strainers with every batch for the past year, I usually get several batches out of each one. It's especially important now that I'm using a plate chiller, I don't want all that pellet sludge clogging my Shirron.

No complaints about the one I made. Dirt cheap, took all of 15 minutes to build, and it's adjustable to fit all of my kettles.

9557-hopbag.jpg

I've made a batch of beer using pellets for the first time, and I was not prepared for the mountain of trub it has produced. My fermenter has a huge mound of iton the bottom. I guess I should have strained it out before putting it into the primary but I didn't.

It has only been fermenting two days, am I naive to hope it will settle out into a reasonable layer on the bottom? If I only siphon out the beer on top of the sludge, I am looking at losing 1/3 to 1/2 of the brew!

help?

I've made a batch of beer using pellets for the first time, and I was not prepared for the mountain of trub it has produced. My fermenter has a huge mound of iton the bottom. I guess I should have strained it out before putting it into the primary but I didn't.

It has only been fermenting two days, am I naive to hope it will settle out into a reasonable layer on the bottom? If I only siphon out the beer on top of the sludge, I am looking at losing 1/3 to 1/2 of the brew!

help?

as your beer sits the cake will compact down . mine go from 3-4 inches during fermentation down to just layer on the bottom

for dry hopping i use a nylon bag. As far as the boil goes im surprised no one has suggested a false bottom. I use keggles for my BK and MLT and both have the same false bottoms. works great.

Back