Grizzly Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rasherb

Reaction score
Just ordered one of these

Grizzly Mill

I know, I know...Roller mill is totally worth it. Just don't have the $$ right now, but I do have a big bag of unmilled grain.

Anyone have this model? Any opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have this model? Any opinions?
I have a Grizzly lathe, but no experience with the mill :cross:

Grizzly Mill.jpg

I have a Grizzly lathe, but no experience with the mill :cross:

My Grizzly Uke kit turned out pretty nice.

No experience with the mill either, but it looks to be based on the Corona mills that a ton of information can be found on the forum, including modifications to make it perform better and motorize it.

h3125.jpg

Looks great. Now all you need is the Grizzly grass skirt, Grizzly coconut bra, Grizzly hula girl, and Grizzly whole roasted pig and you're set!

Yeah. So there's different makes/models of the "corona" I was wondering about this one in particular.

I'll report back about the crush, then efficiency when I brew.

Yeah. So there's different makes/models of the "corona" I was wondering about this one in particular.

I'll report back about the crush, then efficiency when I brew.

You'll want to do some modification to it as that is a flour mill and will grind the grain too fine without adjustment.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/have-you-made-good-beer-corona-mill-32437/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/corona-vs-knockoffs-80156/

jason carr's mousepad - corona grain mill homebrewing homebrew beer

Good luck with that purchase, I had a mill like that and what a piece of S**t it was. I through it away and bought a BC.

Back to report that this type of Corona Mill works great.

For under $30 I'm getting high seventies, low eighties on my brews. Takes a bit of time to crush (3-5 min per pound) but it does a fine job.

The only mod I've done is a piece of aluminum foil over the grinding plates to keep grain bits from flying all over the kitchen.

The crank handle is a bit long so you have to make annoyingly large circles when cranking, so that's a bit of a pain.

I'm happy though, and I saved $120 over a roller mill.

Here is my Grizzly setup. The Grizzly itself cost me $33 (including shipping), the whole cost for the setup was ~$50. I got the idea from HBT Forums, man I love this place! ;)

Grizzly Mill

2el75sj.jpg

2d0i5pf.jpg

1z3saoo.jpg

10s84tc.jpg

5d5egh.jpg

I just opened my grizzly mill out of the box yesterday, and the grain arrives tomorrow out in the deep suburbs where I now live, an hour away from the nearest HBS...

I'm glad to see the grizzly will work, because I don't want to tear up my rolling pin and cutting board (and arms!) crushing anything by hand, again. But, I wonder if someone can't point me to a page about how to adjust the mill for homebrew use? The grizzly is a corona-style mill, as are a few others on the market. But, I suspect I'm going to need to space and adjust them, and I haven't found a good FAQ about how to adjust the mill itself for use. (Plenty of awesome and inspiring ghetto rigs in the world!) Any links to how to set up the mill itself? There's a spacing issue, right? It looks like there will be?

ETA: I did my best and the beer came out good, but I've already begun the modding process. Here's some pictures of what I accomplished and the mess involved) during my first attempt with a grizzly.

http://badduckybeerblog.blogspot.com/2012/10/making-big-mess-with-grizzly-grain-mill.html

Back