Corny Keg Recirculating Dry Hopper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefost

Reaction score
I've been reading about the benefits of recirculating beer while dry hopping for a while and wanted to try it out myself. The main benefits are faster extraction and more oil extracted - in other words a better dry hop.

Well, I finally tested my prototype a couple days ago so I figured why not post something. So without further ado, here's version 1.0 of my dry hop recirculator:
attachment.php

How it works: first liquid comes out of the ball lock post and into the tan pump. The pump pushes the liquid through the hop rocket, which contains a hops sock with some hop pellets inside. Liquid leaves the hop rocket and returns to the keg through the gas in post. Pretty simple.

I connected the pump to a pwm to slow it down since I wanted this device to gently filter the beer through the hops. Also, since I want to sometimes use this with already carbonated beer, I wanted the pump to disturb the co2 as little as possible to not cause foaming.

To test it, I had a little leftover failed beer that could be used (I added some water because I didn't quite have enough). This beer was already fully carbonated, so seemed like a good test. The basic procedure was this.

1) Sanitize recirculator
2) Put pellet hops in hop bag, placed inside hop rocket
3) Purge recirculator with C02
4) Attach liquid ball lock, making sure keg has higher pressure, which forces liquid into hop rocket
5) Connect gas line and immediately turn on pump (turning down pwm)
6) Once finished, use C02 to push remaining beer out of hop rocket and back into keg

Not sure why I expected problems, but it worked like a charm. Since it was only a test, I only added .5 oz of hops, but after 2 hours of recirculating I could clearly smell it in the beer. No foaming issues, no leaks, no problems at all. I had actually added a second finer filter inside the hop rocket, but this turned out to be completely unnecessary as the hops stayed completely enclosed in the hop sock.

So what's the next step? Dry hop some beers this weekend with a ton of hops :D

20140712_192850.jpg

Looks great- although much more expensive and cleaning- intensive than letting the hops hang out for a few days. Leave it to homebrewers to solve a problem that doesn't exist! :)

Did you have any issues priming the the Little Tan Pump? I guess that because this beer is carbonated, there was enough of a pressure drop between the keg and the hop rocket to prime the pump. Might not be so easy with uncarbonated beer?

Did you have any issues priming the the Little Tan Pump? I guess that because this beer is carbonated, there was enough of a pressure drop between the keg and the hop rocket to prime the pump. Might not be so easy with uncarbonated beer?

The beer doesn't need to be carbonated to prime the pump - the keg only needs to have enough CO2 pressure to force the beer out of the keg and through the pump. Simply charging an uncarbed keg with CO2 should be enough to get this started.

The beer doesn't need to be carbonated to prime the pump - the keg only needs to have enough CO2 pressure to force the beer out of the keg and through the pump. Simply charging an uncarbed keg with CO2 should be enough to get this started.

Exactly. You have to flush the keg with CO2 anyways, so its easy to just leave it pressurized after purging the O2.

I didn't have any problems priming the pump, the pressure differential pushed lots of liquid up into the pump and that was plenty to get it started.

Looks great- although much more expensive and cleaning- intensive than letting the hops hang out for a few days. Leave it to homebrewers to solve a problem that doesn't exist! :)

Overcomplicating things is my specialty, I am a homebrewer after all :D

So, has there been any instances of a Corny keg itself, being used as a "gonzo" hop rocket?

( we were on the subject of overcomplicating things, yes?)

Latest posts

Back