Converted fridge to fermentation chamber questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schind

Reaction score
So I converted my fridge to a fermentation chamber with some insulation board.
Even with it turned to the warmest setting, it is still about 53 degrees at the farthest away from the actual fridge. Is this too cold for an ale? i know I can lager now but I would still like to ale. Would a temperature controller help? I also have another piece of insulation that I could cut some holes in and put where the door of the fridge would be. This would allow me to lager in the fridge and ale in the adjacent part. Do you think this would work? Any ideas are appreciated!
fridge1.jpg

fridge2.jpg

fridge3.jpg

fridge4.jpg

A controller is your best bet.

Trying to maintain two temperatures will be extremely difficult. If you put the temperature probe in the fermentation area, you'll run the risk for freezing the lager.

Thanks RichBrewer

Just to clarify, I dont need to both ale and lager, By seperating it, I was just trying to think of a way to raise the temperature to ~60 degrees at the end opposite the condenser so I can ale

I just boiught a bunch of homebrewing stuff so I cant really spend $55 on a temp controller right now. If there were cheaper one though, I could be persuaded!

UPDATE: I just bought this for $16 shipped: Click me!
I couldnt tell if it had a sensor with it or not but it was dirt cheap. any thoughts?

Huh. My thoughts are... looks like it has no sensor. Also... 24V? how is that going to work with all the 120V in your system?

You must be a far better wiring guru than I am. Wiring a Ranco with an extension cord is by far the top-end of my handiness. I'll be going with a Ranco myself.

I'm not saying I can make it work, I just impulse bought it. If it works, it works, if not, i'll use it for something else. I tinker a lot :D

get a temp controller and tape the probe onto the carboy or bucket what ever you use. That way you can also set a good temp for ales as well.

I saw a guy do this with a chest freezer. it worked for him he used a ranco and a heat lamp in that area for ales.

If it got too cold in there it would heat the area up .

I want to do something like this to my mini fridge. I'd rather tear the fridge apart and build a nice little closet for it though. Since materials are on the rise and winter is setting in fast I think I'll wait till next year. My foamy insulated ice bottle holder thing will do for now. How would a guy do an ale side and a lager side? It seems like you would just need an extra temp controller, a relay or so and a fan or something? I'd really like to devise it to hold two buckets on each side. It might be better to just pick up two used chest freezers. arr.... I need a house...

That is neat! :mug:

Better than my "cut a hole in the dorm fridge" idea.

OK, I was thinking on my plan, and it might work here.

Create two chambers. The chamber open to the fridge is for lager. Use a temp controller to control the fridge and keep it cold enough, but not freezing.

Put an insulated divider between the lager and ale sections. Connecting the sections will be a little fan, with another temp controller. When the ale side gets too warm, the controller kicks the fan on, cooling that side down.

Back