Cam Lock + Sight Glass + Temp Probe = My solution in search of a problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBBF

Reaction score
I decided to use cam locks to attach my Brewhardware sight glass and temperature probe to my keggle. If this has been done before, I couldn't find it an example of it. Most likely because it really isn't necessary, but I shouldn't actually call it a solution in search of a problem. This set up is useful in the following ways:

1. I'd like to be able to clean in place, with an extended PBW or Oxiclean soak. Prolonged exposure to alkaline cleaners and/or water can potentially cause the polycarbonate sight glass to crack. This set up allows me to remove the sight glass, cap off the port and do an extended soak.

2. Occasionally, I am still going to need to bring the keggle over to the sink to clean. For example, if there is a boil over and I need to scrub the outside of the keggle. I can now remove the sight glass and not have to worry about breaking it as I reposition the keggle.

3. I bought an 8" probe and did not factor in the position of the heating elements. The added length of the cam locks essentially shortens my probe. The eye bolt included in the Brewhardware kit is the perfect length. Swapping out one of the bolts for a wing nut might be beneficial.

4. The sight glass and probe can easily be moved to other equipment, eliminating the need for additional parts

5. The sight glass and probe can be swapped for something else.

23udims.jpg

zvsbax.jpg

Great solution and original as far as I have seen.

Can you post links to the necessary parts?

I have been wanting to add a sight glass to my system. Thanks!

I bought most of my parts from BrewHardware.com. BobbyM has some great prices, but he doesn't have the dust cap. If you want one stop shopping, bargainfittings has a similar sight gauge and all the required cam locks. It looks like the eye bolt that bargin fittings shows is shorter than the one from BrewHardware, which might not be long enough.

Parts List:

Welded Sight Gauge
Cam Lock - Type F - Male QD / Male 1/2" NPT
Cam Lock - Type B - Female QD Coupling to Male 1/2" NPT

And you will also need a 1/2" Dust Cap
http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=51_54&product_id=144

The setup does stick out a couple inches further than it would without the cam locks. Take that into consideration if you are putting a temperature probe on your sight gauge.

I did add a wing nut to help with removing the eye bolt, but the kits come with two nuts, so it isn't required and doesn't really save much time.

Yup, I don't show a picture of it but it's the one in the dropdown menu under Standard Cams... the item called dustcap. Yes, I know having the black vinyl dust covers also available confuses things but we have all standard camlock varieties.

I stand corrected. Well, there's a potential new SKU for you. :mug:

I decided to use cam locks to attach my Brewhardware sight glass and temperature probe to my keggle. If this has been done before, I couldn't find it an example of it. Most likely because it really isn't necessary, but I shouldn't actually call it a solution in search of a problem. This set up is useful in the following ways:

1. I'd like to be able to clean in place, with an extended PBW or Oxiclean soak. Prolonged exposure to alkaline cleaners and/or water can potentially cause the polycarbonate sight glass to crack. This set up allows me to remove the sight glass, cap off the port and do an extended soak.

2. Occasionally, I am still going to need to bring the keggle over to the sink to clean. For example, if there is a boil over and I need to scrub the outside of the keggle. I can now remove the sight glass and not have to worry about breaking it as I reposition the keggle.

3. I bought an 8" probe and did not factor in the position of the heating elements. The added length of the cam locks essentially shortens my probe. The eye bolt included in the Brewhardware kit is the perfect length. Swapping out one of the bolts for a wing nut might be beneficial.

4. The sight glass and probe can easily be moved to other equipment, eliminating the need for additional parts

5. The sight glass and probe can be swapped for something else.

23udims.jpg

zvsbax.jpg

Sorry for raising the dead but what is that red plastic stand and where does it come from? Looks perfect for the counter top bottom drain keg MLT I'd like to build.

I love that I can remove the sight glass. The one negative is that that I am also removing my temperature probe and then heating up some water to clean the kettle. It would be nice to know the temperature of the water.

I get around this by laying the whole sight glass across the top of the kettle, with the probe dangling in the water. I could see getting another probe/camlock combo instead of the cap.

Latest posts

Back