1 BBL Brewhouse Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirstubbsalot

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm considering building a 1 BBL brewing setup. I'm thinking of using 55 gallon stainless barrels and electric heating elements. Does anyone have any advice on this subject? Would it be feasible to mash in a container that does not recirculate mash? Would this compromise mash efficiency?

My BK is a 55 gallon SS drum. My MT is a 55 gallon blue HDPE plastic barrel. I do use a HERMS to help control mash temps. My system is electric - I have two 4500 watt elements in the BK. This is the absolute minimum you can get away with. I make 35 gallon batches. I doubt if recirculating really affects your efficiency much. 60+ pounds of grain is a large amount of thermal mass. I think your mash temps will be pretty steady.

I am using 55 gallon drums for BK and Mash at Bonfire Brewing. We use 3 4500w elements in each of the two boil kettles. I have wrapped all the drums twice with silver bubble wrap insulation and the mash holds temp fine. As for efficiency I am getting between 70 and 75 percent.

If you have any other questions let me know. I found my drums on ebay for a pretty good price. they ended up about $200 each including shipping.

I see. So I'm assuming you have the heat elements in direct contact with the mash? Does that scorch the mash/wort at all? Without recirculation, does your HLT double as your BK? Do you have any pics of your setup? So many questions...I'm just trying to visualize the system as a whole.

Here is pic of it setup.
72292_1648271974515_1468420387_31720396_3186260_n.jpg

I do not have elements in my mash tuns. The only thing in my mash tuns are false bottoms. I used the perforated stainless sanke false bottoms from midwest supply. The ones without diptubes. I drilled it out and use 3/4" copper pipe for diptube.

I basically do two simultaneous 50 gallon batches. So essentially two setups in one.

I took a look at your website - impressive operation you have! I'd like to start something like it here in MN, but to serve beer brewed on site you are required to serve food as well. Damn MN liquor laws.

Instead I am in the planning stages of a nano-type production brewery where we would sell growlers out of the brewery doors and distribute kegs to local bars. I'm sort of weighing out my options for inexpensive brewhouse systems right now.

So you basically have calculated the strike temp for each beer you have, and then the insulation on the outside of the MLT keeps the mash at temp for the entire length of the mash? Sounds pretty simple. Sorry for all of the questions about your setup. I guess the larger scale just seems somewhat daunting to me.

Back