Zythos Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
A professional brewer friend hooked me up with a several ounces of Zythos. Apparently, its a blend of Simcoe, Citra, Palisade, and Amarillo. Anybody tried these yet? Im assuming it will be somewhat similar to Falconers Flight. Def gonna brew an IPA with them...

Have not, but Sounds like a viable combination I had in mind for my Dank Tank: Ghoulash clone. Double Black, Double Dry Hopped, Double IPA (new release from Sweetwater Brewery)

I would be surprised if it uses Simcoe, Citra or Amarillo. My understanding in talking to the folks at Hop Union and Country Malt is that these blends are being made to address the shortage of some of the newer hops that are in high demand and low supply, like Simcoe and Amarillo. So I doubt they would take these very hops and blend them being that they are in such high demand. Could be wrong.

Introducing, ZYTHOS

The third and final release form Hopunion tells of yet another new variety that they will soon breed and offer brewers. They explain that the demand for “unique IPA style hops” is as strong as ever and that varieties like Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra, and Palisade have been very successful for them. The need for a new and exciting hop that “replicates the chemical structure of the finest IPA/Pale Ale finishing hops” is needed.

Hopunion worked with Alpha Analytics to create a hop that “delivers aggressive alpha acid levels, balanced beta acid levels and low co-Humulone levels for a smooth finish”. The new hop is called ZYTHOS and is named after the traditional Greek word for beer. The target alpha and beta percentages are 9.4 and 5.5 respectively. I can’t wait to see what our local brewers come up with to display the unique characteristics of this hop. I have a strong sense that it’s going to impress the hop lovers amongst us.

from the bottom of this page.

sounds like it's not a blend of those varieties but rather of the desirable attributes of those varieties.

9.4% alpha? Yowza. Saw these at my LHBS and the guy working there was just as confused as I was. Would love to give them a smell sometime!

9.4% alpha? Yowza. Saw these at my LHBS and the guy working there was just as confused as I was. Would love to give them a smell sometime!

They really resemble an Amarillo-ish type of aroma. But jeah, Im confused as to what the blend actually is now. Going to brew a IPA soon and use them in late additions and massive dry hop.

i found only one online retailer selling these hops for $2 an oz, i'm going to give some of the local stores a try.

edited to say oz and not pound.

The guy at my LHBS said they've tried them and are seriously considering replacing Simcoe with Zythos in all of their recipes that call for Simcoe. I'm sure it's mostly due to the lack of Simcoe on the market, but if they consider it a suitable enough replacement, I'm going to give it a try. I picked up a few ounces.

i have a half pound of zythos on the way. the vendor claims 11.9% alpha and 5% beta.

I just received some at my HBS, aroma is Amarillo-like for sure, not close to Simcoe in my opinion. I think this and some of the other blends are cool because you can essentially single hop for 3-5 additions and get complexity of multiple hops because of the blend. Alpha is 10.9% for the newest crop. Packaging now, $3.75/2oz. Not sure if it is cool to post my email or url, so I won't.

From here:
http://www.butlerwinery.com/PDF/Hop descriptions.pdf

"A proprietary hop blend created to embody the powerful tradition and aroma you expect from your finest ales and IPA brews. With targeted brewing values of 11.9% alpha and 5.0% beta, ZYTHOS is an IPA style blend created to optimize and exceed the aroma characteristics you require. ZYTHOS is not a replacement for proprietary varieties, but rather a premium pellet blend that will compliment your current IPA and Pale Ale brews."

This seems to imply that it's not actually a new variety, but a blend of two or more different varieties (perhaps some/all of the ones mentioned earlier in this thread).

They smell awesome, I wanted to brew with the sample I received but will be brewing a Stout instead. We will have these later this week.!

My LHBS turned me onto the Zythos. The AA is 11%.
OMG that amazing spicy aroma. I had to bring some home.

My first brew with Zythos is in the primary. I used them as a substitute for Centennial bittering.
Of course with AA at 11 %, I rolled back the dosage.
Will let you guys know how it turns out.

I brewed a IPA that I hopbursted with Amarillo and Zythos on Saturday. It's fermenting now... Will report back!

Any reports back on this blend yet? I am picking up a couple oz today to use in a Rye PA and was hoping for some feedback.

Here's my two cents:
Just tried my Zythos IPA.
I held back a bit thinking the results would be more intense. NOT.
I did not get the aroma or flavor I hoped for. My beer is only slightly spicy with very little aroma.
I suppose I'm a bit of a hop head but next time I will not be afraid to kick it up a notch or two for bittering and flavoring.
I would choose a different aroma hop. Other hops are better suited for aroma.

Back