Zoning question for brewing operation (Texas)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unfabled

Reaction score
OK, so I'm in need of space to start putting together my brewing operation.

My question is this: Do I have to find a space that is zoned for commercial or industrial use?

I need less than 1000 sq ft so this limits my options.. I considered renting office space but something tells me my fellow tenants wouldn't like having a brewing company next door. If I've got the appropriate permits from the TABC.. why should it matter though?

You definitely need an area that is zoned for commercial use. Any kind of office space will not do the trick. This is one of the main reasons breweries are usually tucked away in some weird industrial park. There are licensing issues too. I suggest you talk to Bob the brewery consultant, he will undoubtedly post on this thread once he sees the topic. I'm sure he'll tell you to cover ALL your bases before moving forward with the operation.

That being said, best of luck! I hope it works out.

Municipal Zoning codes, districts, and land use classes tend to be jurisdictionaly specific. Here to the North of you we would require you be located in an Industrial Zone and would be classified as a Heavy Industrial operation and you would be scrutinized for the on-site storage of alcoholic product.

Contact the planning and zoning department at whatever city you're going to put your brewery in. They'll tell you what the land has to be zoned for.

Contact the planning and zoning department at whatever city you're going to put your brewery in. They'll tell you what the land has to be zoned for.

This is the way to go. They will be very helpful. You many not need to be in an industrial area. You just have to apply for a variance. We contacted the town about our brewery and they classified us as a tavern. In our town that is a "use by right" for the area we are located.

You may need more than 1000 sq ft. We have 1800 and I feel like things are going to be tight. Are you going to have a tasting room or just strictly brewing?

Hooray for planning brewers and brewing planners! I'd say your best bet is to call up the planning office in the town/city/county you want to be in.

There are so many potential local wrinkles, depending on where you want to locate. Will there be a tasting room/pub attached? Are those allowed in zones where breweries are allowed? Are there any impact fees?

Oh yeah, and don't trust your friendly commercial Realtor or commercial landlord. Those people can blow sunshine all day when it comes to telling you what you want to hear about whether a use will be allowed/easy to permit!

Had to tell a brewery "no way" in the town I work for, not even in the Industrial Zone, because of the amount of wastewater treatment capacity they would be required to buy from Public Works. Bummer.

and the above advice to contact your local gov't is spot on.

its different based on every location and the local gov't will know these rules best.

you can also check out municode.com and see if they have your locality subdivision and zoning ordinance online for quick reference

Back