Zombie Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey! This is a serious zombie thread! Watch the drift!
And zombies definitely poop. I supervised civil servants, and practically all they did was crap.

nuf said...

inventory-meme-generator-zombie-apocalypse-goes-down-you-ll-know-where-i-ll-be-62ba62.jpg

even Romero will tell you zombie movies ain't about the zombies

it's about the breakdown of social and moral order following the collapse of civilization. what happens when the lights go out? when the police or fire departments aren't going to respond to any call for help? what happens when you're completely on your own to fend for yourself? how do you survive? how do you feed your family? what will you do when your young child is hungry and your next door neighbor won't share his food?

the reason for the collapse is irrelevant. we've seen what happens on a regional scale during Katrina and Sandy and we wonder what we would do in those situations. but those are short-term events. eventually the water recedes, the power gets turned back on, cellphone service is restored and we can go back to the grocery store and plan for dinner tonight.

zombies provide for an ongoing, escalating collapse on a national, even global scale. sure, a super flu or viral agent can be the catalyst, but those are faceless, nameless, slightly boring adversaries. zombies are more frightening because they your neighbors, friends and loved ones intent on doing harm to you mindlessly without remorse.

they're not real, but they're possible, unlike a vampire or werewolf onslaught.

as to the OP question: no, they don't poop, because they don't actually eat. Zombies are re-animated corpses, with no living functions. their compulsion to eat human flesh were, I think, Romero's view on American consumerism

even Romero will tell you zombie movies ain't about the zombies

it's about the breakdown of social and moral order following the collapse of civilization. what happens when the lights go out? when the police or fire departments aren't going to respond to any call for help? what happens when you're completely on your own to fend for yourself? how do you survive? how do you feed your family? what will you do when your young child is hungry and your next door neighbor won't share his food?

the reason for the collapse is irrelevant. we've seen what happens on a regional scale during Katrina and Sandy and we wonder what we would do in those situations. but those are short-term events. eventually the water recedes, the power gets turned back on, cellphone service is restored and we can go back to the grocery store and plan for dinner tonight.

zombies provide for an ongoing, escalating collapse on a national, even global scale. sure, a super flu or viral agent can be the catalyst, but those are faceless, nameless, slightly boring adversaries. zombies are more frightening because they your neighbors, friends and loved ones intent on doing harm to you mindlessly without remorse.

Exactly - which is why, as I mentioned before, the only 2 movies that have ever freaked me out were Night of the Living Dead and The Road. They're pretty much the same movie. The zombies are replaced by roving bands of living cannibals.

Both movies are freaky, because if you think apocalyptic thoughts, that's probably how it would go down. They're a little too real for comfort.

Mad Max, on the other hand, is easier to deal with because it's cheezy and over-the-top.

That was pretty deep GrogNerd. :D

You're calling him out on "you people" when you paraphrased Charlton Heston, and referred to our fellow creature as dirty? You're an Apist, I'm calling PETA!

I dont get Zombies (from the standpoint of the Apocolypse and all the reality shows).... From a physiological standpoint they cannot exist. Take The Walking Dead for example. The half torso'd people the encounter cannot be alive unless they are immortal and possess some superhuman power. They cant exist bc they no longer have blood, which carries o2, nutrients, co2, etc throughout the body. Without o2 to the brain, it infarcts. Then it no longer functions, carrying out neurotransmissions which control motor function. I know in season 1 or 2 @ the CDC they showed how the brain dies, and then the brain stem "revives" but still A) what they showed revives only controls basic metabolic functions (non-voluntary muscle function such as breathing, heart, digestion). Cant have cognitive movement (trying to eat people, problem solving how to maneuver around a gate to eat you, etc) without brain function. And then theres the whole metabolizing whatever they eat into energy. No functioning pancreas, liver, stomach, etc means no energy. No energy, no movement.

Ive had a few drinks, but in a nutshell, zombies in no way can exist (I mean this in the fact that the dead come back alive)

I dont get Zombies (from the standpoint of the Apocolypse and all the reality shows).... From a physiological standpoint they cannot exist. Take The Walking Dead for example. The half torso'd people the encounter cannot be alive unless they are immortal and possess some superhuman power. They cant exist bc they no longer have blood, which carries o2, nutrients, co2, etc throughout the body. Without o2 to the brain, it infarcts. Then it no longer functions, carrying out neurotransmissions which control motor function. I know in season 1 or 2 @ the CDC they showed how the brain dies, and then the brain stem "revives" but still A) what they showed revives only controls basic metabolic functions (non-voluntary muscle function such as breathing, heart, digestion). Cant have cognitive movement (trying to eat people, problem solving how to maneuver around a gate to eat you, etc) without brain function. And then theres the whole metabolizing whatever they eat into energy. No functioning pancreas, liver, stomach, etc means no energy. No energy, no movement.

Ive had a few drinks, but in a nutshell, zombies in no way can exist (I mean this in the fact that the dead come back alive)

Yeah, well, OBVIOUSLY some other-worldly power is powering the undead zombies.

"Rage virus" zombies could totally happen. Get some kind of virus that destroys the part of your brain or stops the chemicals in your brain that stops extreme aggressive behavior and also gives one an insatiable appetite and we could have a real problem on our hands.

Yeah, well, OBVIOUSLY some other-worldly power is powering the undead zombies.

"Rage virus" zombies could totally happen. Get some kind of virus that destroys the part of your brain or stops the chemicals in your brain that stops extreme aggressive behavior and also gives one an insatiable appetite and we could have a real problem on our hands.

Totally plausable. Also assuming you are referring to 28 Days later type of zombies (good movie btw)...

Have you never seen a 50s Sci fi movie? It's radiation from nuclear bombs. It can create 300ft lizards (Godzilla) and obviously reanimate the dead....Duh.

It's called SCIENCE! Google it!

Zombies are made by a parasite in the brian so they don't need the rest of the body just your brain

Have you never seen a 50s Sci fi movie? It's radiation from nuclear bombs. It can create 300ft lizards (Godzilla) and obviously reanimate the dead....Duh.

It's called SCIENCE! Google it!

I work with ionizing radiation (same as a nuclear bomb) every day!!!! This explains everything!

Back