Zero Tolerance - Crowdsourcing Some Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joetothemo

Reaction score
Hey All. We are having a Q&A with a "mystery guest" soon on the Zero Tolerance blog.

I've approached a few members of Zero Tolerance individually for sample questions, as well as the wider audience on Facebook.

The topics may range from homebrewing, commercial brewing or even malting processes. I still have a couple more spots open. I can't promise they will be answered, but please submit below.

The guest is someone really cool. And I think people will appreciate hearing their input. This person knows their ****, so don't hold back.

I plan on having these questions sent off in the next 24 or so hours, so please let me know what you've got.

What is your mashing process? Temps? Enzyme amounts?

What are your malts of choice for various styles? Millet vs Rice vs Buckwheat and why?

What steps do you take to improve head retention and body?

How do you avoid over attenuation in your GF beers? Seems to be coming problem.

Thanks!

I would like to hear expert opinion on mash process. Many of us employ relatively simple solutions with use of BIAB type setup. We don’t have pump recirculation etc. that produces clearer extraction and probably results in more uniform mash temps during the mash. Does this make a big difference in the finished product and it is worth upgrading to more specialized equipment or is it more important to dial in recipe etc. I was impressed with Ghostfish, Deschutes and Ground Breaker in my recent trips to the pacific north west and I wonder if their commercial systems are providing a big benefit. Most of the guys in these companies were GF home brewers first. I would be interested in opinions of people who have direct experience with both commercial and homebrew.

Sorry I never circled back around on this one folks.

The "mystery guest" was Andrew Lavery. Andrew wrote some early GF malting and mashing tutorials we have all seen and referenced heavily. He's gone on to make quite a name in Australia in GF brewing.

See here for the Q&A session we collaborated on with Gluten Free Homebrewing:

http://www.zerotolerancebrewing.com/2018/08/q-series-launch-andrew-lavery.html

Last edited:
Back