Zante Currants, wine kit, how to add?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregules

Reaction score
About to do my first wine kits. Vintners Reserve Bordailles Rouge (Red Bordeaux) and Island Mist Black Raspberry Merlot A blackberry Merlot. I’ve read a couple of threads where it’s suggested to “add a pound of Zante Currants” to give body to a wine kit. Would someone please tell me exactly how to add them to a basic wine kit process? When and how? Thank you in advance for the help!!

Put them in the primary. Just give them a little rinse with tap water and stick them in a small grain bag. If you don't have the bag, just toss them in the primary. I use them, along with regular raisins, all the time in kits.

I used zante "currants" (actually raisins made from zante grapes) in a cyser recipe & put them in a sanitized blender along with some juice to make a puree. The reasoning behind this was to extract as much flavor & tannins as possible & give the pectic enzyme easy access to the fruit so as to do it's job more efficiently. This puree method also has the advantage of sort of super-areating the must quickly & easily. What was left of the fruit eventually dropped to the bottom to meld with the lees & I had no problems at all with clearing or racking; BTW, that same cyser is now crystal clear & the color of new copper. You should take your SG readings before you add the fruit puree though, as it could throw your readings off a bit due to the suspended particulates. I know this is a long-winded reply, but I hope it helps. Cheers! :)

Back