Z-chiller users- how do you clean/ use your copper counter flow chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarong

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Z-chiller over a plate chiller because it seems easier to clean and less likely to clog.

For people who use a counter flow chiller like the z chiller or chillzilla etc ( not a plate chiller style counter flow chiller)

1) how do you clean it after brewing? (PBW, hot water, vinegar, etc...)

2) Is it necessary to use a filter for the hops/trub

3) does anyone recirc boiling wort through the chiller to sanitize prior to chilling. With or without a filter?)

4) What overall method for sanitizing and chilling through the heat exchanger works best for you?

Thanks

Aaron

I backflush my Zchiller and pump with my chiller water hose right into the kettle when I'm done brewing. Takes seconds, knocks everything out. Once every few brews, I'll circulate some hot PBW through the pump and chiller and flush it with clean water afterwards.

I have yet to have anything get stuck in the ZChiller. It works like a champ.

Edit: To answer your questions:

2. Pellet hops go in free-swimming. Never been an issue. Whole cones get bagged.

3. Yes, when I shut down my heat I'll whirlpool/recirculate through the ZChiller for 5-7 minutes.

4. The heat handles the sanitation.

I have a temp probe on the kettle return. I'll recirculate until I see the temp I want to ferment at leaving the chiller, then I'll pipe it directly into the fermenter.

I start by rinsing it with fresh water, and fill it with star-san
I circulate hot wort near the end of the boil.
I also use the recirculate method, so I run the wort through the cooler, and back into the kettle.
When done, I cycle some water through it, going into the sink / drain, always have some residue come out.
then I cycle pbw hot through everything, using my pump unthrottled. 10 minutes, then run it the other way for 10. Then I rinse it with fresh water, fill it with sanitizer (star san, diluted of course) and then drain. then cap it and put it away until next time.

Awesome, this is great information!!! Thanks for taking the time to help me.

then cap it and put it away until next time.

Did your CFC come with something to cap it? If not, what do you cap it with? I have an Exchilerator and it did not come with anything to cap it off with for storage.

I actually use my Mark II keg washer and I recirculate hot PBW through my Chillzilla type chiller for twenty minutes or so. Then I flush it with fresh water. You can use sanitizer afterwards also if you want. I sanitize mine by hooking it up to the boil kettle during the last 15 minutes of the boil. Nothing inside will live through that!

John

I just picked up one of these zchillers with all NPT connections. What are you guys using to plumb them into your systems? Any problems with putting stainless camlock adapters on the copper threads?

i am running mine with tri clover fittings and i just use food grade teflon tape. No issues yet

I just run sanitizer before and after I use it.

Sometimes I just run boiling wort through instead of the preclean, but not often.

Sometimes I'll run oxyclean through before usimg.

I do use a hop spider on ipas to avoid clogs.

Did your CFC come with something to cap it? If not, what do you cap it with? I have an Exchilerator and it did not come with anything to cap it off with for storage.

my counterflow I just put red silicone caps on the ends that fit it. to keep anything from getting in, or left over star-san from getting out.

and of course when i say star-san, it's diluted to the specifications of course.

The zchiller should have the black caps it was shipped with, I just keep that kind of stuff and never leave open pipes after reading here about maggots coming out of a plate chiller....

Back