Yup....I'm STILL a NOOB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
Thought I had gotten a nice flow to my brew routine...started brewing Ed's Stone Clone on my new functional (but not complete) rig, and I frickin' forget to put my 5.2 pH stabilizer in! I checked my pH, and got 5.9. Damn! So, about 40 mins into my mash, I added about a TBSP. My ph is now somewhere around 5.0-5.1 (using paper strips....can be inaccurate).

Help me soothe my paranoia! I don't think I'm gonna end up with too many off flavors.....or am I :confused: I know, I know, RDWHAHB....but it sucks when you gotta wait a month to see if you screwed up!:(

RDWHAHB. I doubt it will make any noticeable difference. Acceptable range is 5.1-5.8 I believe and 5.9 isn't far off. You'll be fine.

Hey the other day I cooled my wort, pitched my yeast, sealed the fermenter and put on the airlock before I realized that I forgot to add 3lbs of DME to my partial mash. All is well in the end but just when you think you've got it down... :drunk:

paranode said:
Hey the other day I cooled my wort, pitched my yeast, sealed the fermenter and put on the airlock before I realized that I forgot to add 3lbs of DME to my partial mash. All is well in the end but just when you think you've got it down... :drunk:
Sounds like a nice all grain session beer. :)

I got a lot of bugs to work out on this new rig....promash tells me I have 62% brewhouse efficiency with a half and half double batch sparge (2 qt/lb), no mash out.

dude, I use 7.8ph tap water for my mashing. NO altering the pH. my beers taste fine.
i don't remove the chloramine either.

wouldn't sweat it at all.

Well...this beer's happily chugging away in the primary (the 4 gallons that weren't confiscated by the whole hops) so I guess there's no getting off this ride......We'll see how it turns out.

Back