Yuengling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny thing about Yuengling. A little birdie told me that every beer they make is the same wort. They just use different yeasts, blending, and watering down (yep, Lager Light is literally Lager with water added to it) to make every beer in their line-up. The exception being the anniversary Bock they made earlier in the spring.

It is better than BMC stuff, and I drank A LOT of Yuengling in college, but I can't really drink it anymore. It has the most metallic twinge I've ever tasted in a beer.

Funny thing about Yuengling. A little birdie told me that every beer they make is the same wort. They just use different yeasts, blending, and watering down (yep, Lager Light is literally Lager with water added to it) to make every beer in their line-up. The exception being the anniversary Bock they made earlier in the spring.

Its tough to imagine that their porter is made from the same wort as their lager. Unless they are steeping some highly kilned grains in the lager wort. I don't know maybe this is true.

Its tough to imagine that their porter is made from the same wort as their lager. Unless they are steeping some highly kilned grains in the lager wort. I don't know maybe this is true.

True dat - and the Chesterfield Ale has a very distinctive flavor that I would find hard to believe comes only from the yeast...but I can't claim to know for sure.

I've been on the brewery tour. I think the confusion is that they use the same malt in all their beers. I don't know what malt it is but they roast it more for the porter, less for the lager. Or at least that's what I understood at the tour.

Malted barley? Not saying it isn't, but if it is, it's probably 6-row.:D

That's crazy talk (not you, them). If they're doing that, well... I just don't know what I'll do. That's like if I go to a restaurant and order a steak and they bring me out a plate with a banana on it.:cross:

Their Porter uses lager yeast. I love the Chesterfield Ale and their Premium is a good lawnmower beer. I have been drinking this beer since 16 and the lager pretty wildly inconsistent, sometimes it is awesome beer and sometimes it sucks. But I have toured the brewery and it is pretty badass.

It is better than BMC stuff, and I drank A LOT of Yuengling in college, but I can't really drink it anymore. It has the most metallic twinge I've ever tasted in a beer.

Another birdie tweeted in my ear (a family member) that the same wort thing is pretty much true as well. Didn't see this when I just posted now. It is still good beer overall and way better than macro, and the price is right.

I live a block away from the original brewery, and about a mile away from their third brewery. Yet I have never taken the tour. Growing up right here I always taken it for granted. I have been in the brewery and applied for a summer job even. It's interesting what people say about their brews. I personally only really drink the lager and Chetty (Chesterfield ale). When I go the keggle route I will be calling them and finding out if they have any Kegs to spare. Dick is still very much into the business. His daughters should be taking over. As he does not have any sons. Love the smell when they brew. Makes the whole town smell like my kitchen on brew day.

A PA native myself, I think the best way to describe Yuengling (the lager) is as my favorite pitcher beer. Enjoyable to share with friends but light on the wallet as well.

Yep, at Zeno's in State College we had 50 cent pitchers of Yuengling on Thursday nights and $1 on weekends. Go with 5 dollars and drink all night.

Yuengling is a great beer, as a previous poster mentioned it falls in between. I can't imagine why it is being compared to BMC but maybe that's because we got in kegs of it fresh just about every day.

Back