Yuengling Lager Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firebird77

Reaction score
Since I rarely have time to brew, I have been spending a lot of my free time formulating recipes for future use. Right now I am working on a Yuengling clone, but I don't know what SRM, IBU and ABV I am trying to match. I built a quick recipe on hopville and ended up with 14 SRM, 30 IBU and 5.9% ABV (a little high, I know).

For anyone that has brewed a clone, are there any critical components I should have in the brew? I plan on using a neutral ale yeast to ferment, and secondary for a good while.

I haven't done any clones yet, but won't your clone be pretty different considering Yuengling is a lager and you are planning to use an ale yeast?

Well I'm probably going with a Kolsch strain to mimic the style of a lager. What I need are really good tasting notes/recipe breakdown of the original so I know what I'm shooting for.

Since I rarely have time to brew, I have been spending a lot of my free time formulating recipes for future use. Right now I am working on a Yuengling clone, but I don't know what SRM, IBU and ABV I am trying to match. I built a quick recipe on hopville and ended up with 14 SRM, 30 IBU and 5.9% ABV (a little high, I know).

For anyone that has brewed a clone, are there any critical components I should have in the brew? I plan on using a neutral ale yeast to ferment, and secondary for a good while.

What recipe did you come up with?

I think your IBU are likely double to high and your ABV is also way high for this beer.

I would shoot for maybe 11-12 SRM, 12-15 IBU and 4.5% ABV.......

Personally, I would ferment this with nottingham at 58-61 degrees for two weeks and then lager it for 2 weeks...

I don't know if you're looking for AG or Extract recipe, but I made an attempt at a Yeungling-esk beer since I couldn't find an AG recipe anywhere. I actaully came pretty close! The taste is on point, but the color is just a little lighter. The recipe is in my drop down, and I'll try to add some pictures to the thread shortly to compare the 2. Hope it helps?
By the way, it's 9.6 SRM, 21.4 IBU, and just over 4% ABV.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f63/pottsville-common-yeungling-lager-attempt-165157/

I second the notty suggestion keep it cool<low 60s> then lager.Nottys a very clean yeast in my opinion,makes a pretty good cream ale-lager.

Back