Yuengling Beer is yummy! Need it in St. Louis!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dexter_craig

Reaction score
I love this stuff! I can't get it im St. Louis though! Unless someone knows a place!

I usually stock up on the stuff when I am in Florida but it goes fast.

Anyone else had it. It's like nectar!

I grew up drinking it. It's not bad for a lager, but honestly, I think it used to be better before they started distributing more nationally.

It was good when it was still made in PA. Once they moved it to Florida, it changed for the worse. Ironically, it happened at the same time they went a little bigger regionally, so they probably modded the recipe to keep the price down and make it more BMC friendly.

I have to assume you're talking about Yueng Lager. They make some good and some really bad stuff (Lord Chesterfield Ale being the worst - and Yuengling Porter being the best!).

Their pre-made black and tan isn't too bad, but obviously pre-made in a single bottle isn't really a black and tan..

jezter6 said:
It was good when it was still made in PA. Once they moved it to Florida, it changed for the worse. Ironically, it happened at the same time they went a little bigger regionally, so they probably modded the recipe to keep the price down and make it more BMC friendly.

I have to assume you're talking about Yueng Lager. They make some good and some really bad stuff (Lord Chesterfield Ale being the worst - and Yuengling Porter being the best!).

Their pre-made black and tan isn't too bad, but obviously pre-made in a single bottle isn't really a black and tan..

I agree its gone downhill and the Porter is pretty decent...

jezter6 said:

IIRC Lager is made in both locations. They bought the FLA brewery to distribute down that way.

Soulive said:
I agree its gone downhill and the Porter is pretty decent...

er... I had fond memories of the porter till I bought a case recently. Average at best.

brewt00l said:
You're kidding right??

My calendar doesn't say April 1st so what gives....

+1 I was in Orlando for work last spring and it was everywhere. I tried one and thought it was worse than bmc. Thank god I found ABC liquors.

Soulive said:
Do you think it went downhill or your palate went uphill?

It had been years since the last time I had it but recalled thinking it was rather good. ...didn't have a clear memory of the flavor. Doubtless I have experienced a number of other porters in the meantime.

At least the case was cheap.

brewt00l said:
It had been years since the last time I had it but recalled thinking it was rather good. ...didn't have a clear memory of the flavor. Doubtless I have experienced a number of other porters in the meantime.

At least the case was cheap.

Yeah, I'm really going from memory too. I think if I had it now I wouldn't love it. Oh well...

my question is how does a PA-based brewer not sell in the NE past New York if they sell as far south as Florida?

I have only had it a few times, but everytime I have tried Yuengling it has been de-lish, esp for a brewer closer to a BMC than a micro.

GloHoppa said:
my question is how does a PA-based brewer not sell in the NE past New York if they sell as far south as Florida?

I have only had it a few times, but everytime I have tried Yuengling it has been de-lish, esp for a brewer closer to a BMC than a micro.

Why can't I find Yuengling nationwide?
The Yuengling Brewery is a regional brewer that has manufacturing plants in Pottsville, PA and Tampa, FL. Currently we distribute our products over a ten state area along the eastern seaboard. While there is significant interest for our products nationwide, unfortunately we do not have the manufacturing capabilities to service customers across the United States. As a result, our focus and efforts continues to be on our loyal customers and markets that are logistically feasible to our production facilities.
http://www.yuengling.com/faq.htm

They have a plant in Florida, which is why it is so popular for local distribution. IIRC the plant was built about what, 10 years ago? Before that, you could only get it in the Mid Atlantic region (NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD).

I remember (long before being a brewer) how much I loved Yeng Lager and how I loved it because it was 'dark' compared to the BMC beers.

At this point, it's pretty much swill all around. Maybe some of it is still made in the St Clair brewery, but I thought that was for Premium/Premium LIght at this point. I think the others are still made in Pottsville, but I'm not sure.

I took a brewery tour once and it was a lot of fun. Too bad you can't go back into the cellaring caves anymore. I would have loved to see that operation.

jezter6 said:
I took a brewery tour once and it was a lot of fun. Too bad you can't go back into the cellaring caves anymore. I would have loved to see that operation.

Really? I was on this tour back in 02-03 and I was in the caves. It was cool in a historic sence. Across the street from the brewery was Yuengling Ice Cream.

I will be honest, I have not bought a case of this stuff in years. However, regionally, beer drinkers and bar patrons in this area think Yuengling is a step above BMC. It is actually listed as a premium beer in some places. I will still drink it depending on the options. Hell, I was drinking PBR pounders in OCMD last summer. No need to hate on beer.

when i'd been to south jersey prior to moving here in 05, yeungling was our beverage of choice. now i'm here i've got interested in other stuff, like dogfish, and of course homebrew! but yeungling lager is unbeatable in keg form. i don't know where they brew it but it tastes great!

that said - i used to think rolling rock was a cut above BMC. now i wouldn't wash my car with it.

I think I've overdosed on the stuff considering it's the beer of choice amongst most people I know in the area. It's on tap everywhere and it's always on sale. I've been trying to get away from for a while now but like Pacino in GodFather II it just keeps sucking me back in.

Ryan_PA said:
Really? I was on this tour back in 02-03 and I was in the caves. It was cool in a historic sence. Across the street from the brewery was Yuengling Ice Cream.

I will be honest, I have not bought a case of this stuff in years. However, regionally, beer drinkers and bar patrons in this area think Yuengling is a step above BMC. It is actually listed as a premium beer in some places. I will still drink it depending on the options. Hell, I was drinking PBR pounders in OCMD last summer. No need to hate on beer.

This would have been around 04-05 that I was on the tour. Apparently some of it was dangerous with stuff falling from the ceilings and/or the wooden steps were rotting out and dangerous and they didn't want to repair them.

The canning line looked sweet - I would have loved to see it in full swing, but the brewery was quiet the day I went. I've been to a pepsi bottling plant and it's amazing how fast they pump that stuff out.

I really like Yuengling. It's not amazing, but it's not a micro or anything. It's a great beer for a cheap price. Good flavor, and even some element of a hop profile. Definitely above BMC. Keg form is delicious, as well.

If you are going to get some, grab a 12 pack. Unfortunately they pack it in green bottles; I bought a 6er last week and it was all skunked out. No problem with 12 pack or case, though.

I'd love to get me a keg of Yuengling.

Buy it in cans or kegs from PA. It's always better since they use green bottles and it usually gets skunked out. We just put down a 1/4 keg of Lager for New Years.

It was great when I was in college in York, PA and it was $1.75/bttl. Doesn't do a whole lot for me now. I was just back in VA for the holidays and had some Porter. It was good...didn't blow my kilt up or anything...

jezter6 said:
Happy Hour in Wilkes-Barre, PA - Yuengling lager $0.75 a bottle.

I miss getting beer for less than $3.75 a pint...

There used to be a couple places that would sell draft beers for any coin in your pocket...a bar out at KU that had .25 drafts.. dunno about anymore.

Over in Columbia, MO (The Home of MIZZOU College Football) had .05 cent draft night in some bars. What a blast. Those were the days.

Of course I'm talkin about 20 years ago!

sheez...if anyone is willing to send some good stuff in exchange for yueng, I will send you as much as you want!

Surly, Deschutes, Firestone Walker, Alesmith, Barley Johns, Full Sail would all be perfect trade bait!

I was as surpised as hell to find it over Christmas when I went home to my little hometown in the middle of BFE West Tennessee. There it was, in a plain ol' stop-'n'-rob on the highway.

Hubby, from Yankeeland, was overjoyed and took it as the first sign of civilization he'd ever seen in my homeland.

dexter_craig said:
Over in Columbia, MO (The Home of MIZZOU College Football) had .05 cent draft night in some bars. What a blast. Those were the days.

Of course I'm talkin about 20 years ago!
Where I went to school there was a place that did 10 oz Genny Lites for $0.10 on Wednesdays. That was only 5 years ago I think they're still doing them. Nothing like getting plastered on less then 2 bucks. :drunk:

everyone has their own tastes when it comes to beer but i must admit.while i was in myrtle beach over the summer i noticed it in every store i went so i tried the lager and i must say that it was one of the finest tasteing mass produced american lager beers i have ever tried..we can't get it here in ohio but a guy i work with brought me back a couple cases last week...i would love to find a recipe for it if anyone has one i'd like to use it for my first lager brew...extract or grain doesn't matter..thanks.

Latest posts

Back