YUCK, beer tastes like sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Setesh

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have always used starsan to clean/sanitize my beer lines with now problems and no off flavors. I picked up some MoreBeer No Rinse Beer Line Cleaner because it was on closout (starting to see why) and decided to give all my lines a good cleaning. I mixed up a batch of the stuff in a keg, filled my lines, and soaked them for 15 minutes like it said. I then filled another keg with tepid water and rinsed them all then let plain water sit in them for another 15 minutes, then I ran starsan through them and let them soak again. After all this I hooked them back up and ran beer through each one and called it a day. The next day I pour a pint like normal and hit tastes HORRIBLE. It tastes like soap. I go out and pour a ~2 ounce sample from another line and it smells and tastes strongly of the line cleaner. I filled the lines with starsan again and let them soak overnight. The next day I ran beer through the lines and waited. Sure enough the next day the first pour tastes like soap.

I am using MoreBeer 3/16 id 5/16 od line which didn't give me any problems until using this line cleaner. I'm obviously going to have to replace my lines and I'm trying to decide if I want to go with a barrier line or just go back to using starsan to clean/sanitize vinyl. I have 7 kegs on tap in my keezer and I shudder at the thought of all the extra tube length I would have to run with 1/4" barrier. Does anyone have a suggestion for me from past experience?

Dang, I was just about to clean some lines with this stuff. Maybe I'll hold off

Back