You've got $40 in your pocket, what ingredients do you buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ltwhiskers

Reaction score
A carryover from the popular moderndrunkardmagazine thread "you've got $20, what booze do you get?"

So, your carboys, brew kettle and bottles lay at home empty, how would you fill them with $40?

You said carboys (plural) so...

I'd make 11 gallons of a light American pale ale.
OG 1.033 / FG 1.008 / ABV 3.21%
IBU 40 / SRM 5

10 pounds of 2-row ($1.59 per pound)
2 pounds of Vienna ($1.79 per pound)
1 pound of Crystal 40 ($1.79 per pound)
1 oz Simcoe pellets (first wort hops) ($1.79 per packet)
2 oz Cascade pellets (20 minutes) ($1.79 per packet)
1 oz Citra pellets (20 minutes) ($1.79 per packet)
2 packets of S-05 ($3.49 per packet)

With local taxes of $3.10, that's a total of $38.51
$0.39 per beer.

I'd probably do 10 gallons of some SMaSH recipe for kicks. I think I'd have cash left over as well.

11 gallons of a 5% abv German Kolsch:

Liquid White Labs German Kolsch Yeast: $6.00
DME for starter: $3
15 lbs Pilsner Malt: $15
1 lb Vienna Malt: $1.50
Tettnanger Hops (4oz) $8.00
Propane for batch: $4.00

Total: $37.50

Id have to make a 4 gallon batch of my Summertime Session IPA, (beersmith brings it in at 22.62) and I have a yeast bank now so I can minus the 4$ for Nottingham dry so thats 18.62.

Then I would make a 2 gallon batch of Cocoa Cayenne Porter. I have a 5gallon glass carboy and a 3gallon glass carboy.

I'd make a Double IPA

Mash 7.5 gallons of water with grains at 148 degrees for 60.
NO mashout. Just drain into the boil kettle.

15LBS 2-row (1.25/LBS)
2LBS Crystal 40 (1.90/LBS)
0.5LBS CaraPils (.90 total)

1oz Columbus @ 60
1oz Centennial @15
1oz Cascade @15
1oz Columbus@15
1oz Cascade @5
1oz Centennial @Flameout

DH
2oz Centennial 7 days in secondary
1oz Cascade 7 days in secondary

Safeale-05 (2 Pkts Rehydraded) (3.65/pack)

I bought bulk hops from Yakima Valley Hops and got a killer deal on 1/2LBS bags of Columbus, Centennial and Cascade. The price per ounce was about $1/type.

I made this with about $39 of ingredients and it turned out awesome. I screwed up and had my efficency way low though. It turned out a bit lighter in the ABV department. Flavor was spot on though. :rockin:

Id go with a scottish beer. Little to no hops(them cheap bastards) a few specialty grains and some yeast and your set.
Shilling beers can be cheap and tasty

This is ironic. Last night at our club meeting. The 2 top raffle prizes were 40 bucks in LHBS credit to go towards 2 upcomming compitetions. I won the first for our neighboring clubs Spring Fling. So now i really get to use 40 bucks to build a batch to enter!
:beer:

?? How is that cheating? 1) I use cash to buy those things and 2) money is fungible anyway

It's not cheating if you can get all of the ingredients you need with only $40.

"I could order 10,000 pounds of 2-row and get it for only 5 cents a pound, so therefore, with only $40 worth of that 10,000 pounds of 2-row I could make about 100 gallons of beer..."

The challenge is that you're standing there in the homebrew store and you've got $40 in your pocket, and that's all you can spend. So you can't go and buy half of a pound of Crystal 60 because that's all you need for a recipe. The homebrew store doesn't sell grain in half-pound increments. And they're not going to give you the 55-pound discount if you only buy 10 pounds.

It's not cheating if you can get all of the ingredients you need with only $40.

"I could order 10,000 pounds of 2-row and get it for only 5 cents a pound, so therefore, with only $40 worth of that 10,000 pounds of 2-row I could make about 100 gallons of beer..."

The challenge is that you're standing there in the homebrew store and you've got $40 in your pocket, and that's all you can spend. So you can't go and buy half of a pound of Crystal 60 because that's all you need for a recipe. The homebrew store doesn't sell grain in half-pound increments. And they're not going to give you the 55-pound discount if you only buy 10 pounds.

Now I'm completely confused. Haha. Oh well.

55 lb sack of 2 row: $30
1 lb of cascade: $7
$3 left for yeast or specialty grain

Buy $35 of BMC, invite some friends over for poker. Poker the beer to them then place a $400 order in the morning.

Next question.

I can get ingredients for the Common Room ESB recipe on this site and 1lb of 5star for $39 and some change from the LHBS.

As a beginner beer brewer, i'd buy a 5 gallon weizen bock extract kit and a 1 gallon extract kit of some sort.

Back