Your three favorite hops for an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

aprichman

Reaction score
I was just wondering what everyone's 3 favorite hops were for IPAs. Mine are amarillo, simcoe, and citra.

:mug:

olotti

Reaction score
I was just wondering what everyone's 3 favorite hops were for IPAs. Mine are amarillo, simcoe, and citra.

:mug:
Funny I'm making the same into a dipa with a touch of Apollo. But I love Amarillo, also cascade and I've made some good iPas with Galaxy. To many I love just to name 3.

Chadwick

Reaction score
Just three? Ok, hmmm.

Chinook, Centennial, Cascade.

I really like those. Chinook for the dark dank biting bittering, Centennial for its flowery aroma and smoothness, Cascade for its citrus hints and smooth aroma.

bobeer

Fermentation Specalist
Reaction score
Love me some chinook for bittering. It even works great in an american stout.
For flavor/aroma it's all about mosaic and centennial.

I've also made some really good ipa's with eldorado and cascade. There's so many it's hard to just name 3!

hanuswalrus

Reaction score
Amarillo, Centennial, Simcoe.

Just brewed an Amarillo/Centennial IPA that I'm thinking of dry hopping with a little Simcoe to see how these 3 work together.

mrdauber64

Reaction score
Citra, Simcoe and Amarillo. I need to try Chinook since that is what Arrogant Bastard uses. I'd also like to try Mosaic.

Natdavis777

Reaction score
I would rather list hop combos (ie amarillo/simcoe, etc), but I would say Mosaic, Simcoe, and Amarillo

BrewinHooligan

Reaction score
Coumbus for bittering then late addions of Simcoe and Amarillo, dry-hopped with all 3. This is my go-to for IPA's. There is just something about Simcoe and Amarillo together and I love how dank Columbus is.

Qhrumphf

Stay Rude, Stay Rebel, Stay SHARP
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Going American, I like Centennial, Amarillo, and Cascade. English, I'd go EKG, Challenger, and probably Target. I also like to use continental hops in my Belgian IPA, where I use Styrian Goldings and Strisselspalt, and I could see tossing some Saaz into that mix as well.

DoWBrewer

Reaction score
Northern Brewer, Centennial, Galena and Citra (Couldn't stop at 3).

brewprint

Reaction score
Nugget, mosaic, cascade (awesome combo)

I'm always experimenting...

BierGut

Reaction score
Falconers Flight, MOsaic and....anything I haven't used before. I love to use new hops on APA and IPA recipes.

bobbrews

Reaction score
There was a big poll done for this with 192 beer geeks voting. The majority concensus was extremely close in votes, but for poll purposes, (in order):

Centennial
Amarillo
Simcoe

Citra and Cascade were the runners up.

Columbus nearby.

I personally love Simcoe and Columbus. These are the main hops used in both Heady and Pliny... And many more top rated IIPAs. Supporting hop choice to this combo doesn't really matter as long as it's a Pacific NW IPA hop.

ralphiebp

Reaction score
Amarillo, simcoe, citra just won me a work home brew competition. Add a little marris otter and its gold!