Your recipes - Pellets or whole hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeybadger

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been asked before - I have searched and couldn't really find a answer.

I've been reading through various recipes on HBT and the hops are generally only listed as "1oz Amarillo 60min" etc.

Most of the time recipes don't specify whole or pellet.

So the question is should I go with whole or pellets by default?

Some of the reading I've looked at says the difference is about 10% (please correct or add to this if you can) which isn't really that much, but in the interest of accurancy I'd like to get it right.

Thanks

So the question is should I go with whole or pellets by default?
Thanks

Usually most recipes described call for pellet hops by default. The use of pellet hops are more "controlled" and easier to predict then whole hops from what I have seen and used.

I do know some experienced brewers who use whole hops, but still are very careful due to the fact that there are other factors that can come into play, especially if you grow your own hops or purchase them from a place this isn't as reputable.

Back