your opinion, dry or liquid yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBEWJamie

Reaction score
I am getting ready to brew a wheat beer in a few weeks and I am in question of the yeast I want to use. I thought I would see what everyones opinion was on what yeast to use. I was looking at the safbrew wheat wb-06 or the whites lab WLP320 because these are the brands my local brew shop sells. I want this beer to be something close to the Goose Island 312. What do you think?

i've used wb-06 for many years. more reliable to me than wlp300, which i've had come out of the vial as a nasty goop once, and dead twice

I always go with liquid just because I can make a starter with it. Apparently dry yeast is not a good candidate to make starters with. Id rather do that and be insured of a strong clean ferment.

Try them side by side if you have the capacity to split a batch. I've tried the WB-06 against both the American and German hefe yeasts from WL. In each case, the liquid yeasts had a more complex flavor profile. That is not to say the dry was bad. On the contrary, I enjoyed it quite a bit. It still stays cloudy and throws some of the esters and phenols you want from a wheat yeast. I brew wheats very seldom. But I would have no problem with using this yeast again if I either couldn't find the right liquid yeast or if I didn't leave myself sufficient time to grow a starter.

i would definately go with the dry yeast for a 312 type beer. The 320 is a hefeweizen yeast and while it is awesome, I dont think you want the banana/clove in your basic wheat pale ale

WLP300/wyeast 3068 is my favorite strain for wheat beers, but I love the banana flavor that it gives. If you have had a weihenstephaner hefe weissbier this is where the strain comes from. I guess I'm just lucky, I've bought at least 50 tubes of WL yeast and never had a problem.

I always go with liquid just because I can make a starter with it. Apparently dry yeast is not a good candidate to make starters with. Id rather do that and be insured of a strong clean ferment.

no starter needed with dry because it has a higher yeast cell count per package. around 100 million for wet, 300 million for dry. i've used dry almost exclusively for years. i only use wet for specialty beers, like irish, scottish, saison, etc

no starter needed with dry because it has a higher yeast ceel count per package. around 100 million for wet, 300 million for dry. i've used dry almost exclusively for years. i only use wet fot specialty beers, like irish, scottish, saison, etc

Definitely not saying dry is crap or anything. Just the improvement in my beer I have seen since using starters is pretty significant so I never really use dry unless I have to

I could be totally off the mark here because I've never had goose island 312 urban wheat beer, but.... based only on it's description from their website, I'm betting that they use a standard american ale yeast. I'm thinking something like us05/1056 or wyeast 1272 - 1272 has the ability to give some fruit or citrus character depending on fermentation temps. Add 1 Tbsp white flour to last minute of your boil to ensure a cloudy beer. But like I said, I've never had this beer so take it for what it's worth.

i would definately go with the dry yeast for a 312 type beer. The 320 is a hefeweizen yeast and while it is awesome, I dont think you want the banana/clove in your basic wheat pale ale

Are you sure you're not thinking of WL 300? The 320 is an American wheat yeast. I usually use wyeast 1010 for those but the one time I used the 320 it was similar - no banana/clove.

I could be totally off the mark here because I've never had goose island 312 urban wheat beer, but.... based only on it's description from their website, I'm betting that they use a standard american ale yeast. I'm thinking something like us05/1056 or wyeast 1272 - 1272 has the ability to give some fruit or citrus character depending on fermentation temps. Add 1 Tbsp white flour to last minute of your boil to ensure a cloudy beer. But like I said, I've never had this beer so take it for what it's worth.

Ok, you got my attention!!! I have been to the web site to get the main info about this beer but totaly missed the fruity ale flavor bit. I was paying more attention to the grains and hops then the discription of the beer. I brewed a Bells Two Hearted Ale clone a few months ago and saved the whites lab California V Ale Yeast WLP051. Do you think this would be a good yeast to use for this beer? I want to let it be known that I have only been brewing all grain for about 2 years now and I really listen to everyones opioion on all of the steps to the brewing process!!! I am one of those people that get on the computer every day to see what else I can learn about brewing even if it is 2:00 AM! Thanks for all the posts!!! It does mean a lot to me!!!

Are you sure you're not thinking of WL 300? The 320 is an American wheat yeast. I usually use wyeast 1010 for those but the one time I used the 320 it was similar - no banana/clove.

Yep, I guess i was thinking the 300, but they do show the 320 as american hefe yeast with slight banana/clove esters. So iwould still stick to my original advice on using the dry.

I went to whites lab web site and looked at all the wheat, hefeweizen yeast and THOUGHT that the WLP320 was what I wanted but Im not completely sure. I am very open to all suggestions!!!!! Like I said my local brew shop only carries safe ale and whites lab yeast. I had thought about ordering online but I am one of those who likes to touch what I buy.Thank you so much for your post!!!!

Yep, I guess i was thinking the 300, but they do show the 320 as american hefe yeast with slight banana/clove esters. So iwould still stick to my original advice on using the dry.

That was what I had planed on using was a dry yeast the WB06 but after thinkng about it I wasnt 100% sure that it would be the best yeast to use.

I used the California V from White Labs for an IPA with a 10% wheat grain bill recently. The yeast character is much closer to the 312 than you would get with a German hefe style of yeast, in my opinion.

That's the awesome thing about home brewing. You have options and time. You don't have to clone it on your first try. And if you never clone it, it will be a lot of fun trying.

When I am putting together a recipe, people think I am crazy but I swear I can taste it in my head. And when I have a strong idea about what I believe the beer will taste like, the fermentation and conditioning process can be agonizing. It's like looking at that Christmas gift under the tree that you are almost positive you know what's in it, but you want to unwrap it just to make sure.

Sometimes the gift is exactly what I wanted. A couple of years ago I had a bad piece of tubing and had to return 2 defective/infected gifts. Occasionally the gift is not exactly what I wanted but its still really good so I keep it. And as I continue to gain knowledge and skill in my brewing, more and more often what I unwrap is even better than I was hoping for and something I can proudly show off to family and friends (and the occasional contest).

It sounds like you've done a lot of research. I say you just settle on a yeast, take thorough notes, and brew a great beer. Then use your notes and your taste buds to lead you on from there.

Ok, you got my attention!!! I have been to the web site to get the main info about this beer but totaly missed the fruity ale flavor bit. I was paying more attention to the grains and hops then the discription of the beer. I brewed a Bells Two Hearted Ale clone a few months ago and saved the whites lab California V Ale Yeast WLP051. Do you think this would be a good yeast to use for this beer? I want to let it be known that I have only been brewing all grain for about 2 years now and I really listen to everyones opioion on all of the steps to the brewing process!!! I am one of those people that get on the computer every day to see what else I can learn about brewing even if it is 2:00 AM! Thanks for all the posts!!! It does mean a lot to me!!!

I actually DO think that would be a good yeast for this beer and, in fact, White Labs gives this yeast a high rating as being suitable for the american wheat beer style. Just keep in mind, if you want banana/clove then you need to be looking at hefe yeasts, but based on what I've read of the Goose Island Urban Wheat there is no banana/clove to be had - just some citrus and fruitiness. Plus, you get to use up some old yeast you've had taking up space in your fridge (not to mention save a few bucks on this batch) :D

After reading the beer's description I agree with others that an american ale yeast may be what you want. So S-05 for dry or for white labs 001, 051. I would also personally not hesitate to use the 320. I know the description says slight banana/clove but as I said from direct experience I didn't get it. I also have very good temp control, though, and fermented this at 66-67. Sounds like others at these temps have the same experience. I would at least expect it to be cleaner than the WB-06 if you can keep the temp down.
:mug:

I think I will go with WLP051 that I saved. It will be a few weeks before I get to brew this but I will post the outcome of the beer. THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR REPLIES !!!!!!

Back