Your local craft brewery as a resource...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastoak

Reaction score
I was making 10 gallons of a zythos pale ale yesterday and had only a pack of nottingham and one of windsor so i headed down to my local brewery for some yeast. They are very busy but always drop what they are doing to hook me up with yeast. i don't do this every week or even month, most of the time i use dry yeast or pitch from a yeast cake but it's nice to know that they support home brewers like this. they did not fill it this high the yeast kept rising and pushed out of the top. pitching yeast this fresh is a joy.

16300625_Tc7VdP
[/url][/IMG]

My local craft brewery has offered to add a couple bags of base grains to their orders for me :)

I used to do that all the time. One time though they got a series of infected batches, all this translated to my beer. Since then I stopped getting yeast from my local brewery. They had to dump who knows how many barrels of beer, I only lost 15 gallons. Sad stuff indeed.

I used to do that all the time. One time though they got a series of infected batches, all this translated to my beer. Since then I stopped getting yeast from my local brewery. They had to dump who knows how many barrels of beer, I only lost 15 gallons. Sad stuff indeed.

Interesting, I had not thought of that. I've done this quite a few times so far and have not had that problem. Must be a painful thing.

Saint Arnold, by any chance? Only TX brewery I've heard of recently having to dump..

In my experience, most small breweries are quite happy to help out the local home brewers. Sometimes with discount or even free malt (within reason), sometimes with discount hops, free yeast, cleaning chemicals, hosting brew club meetings, etc. All of the various places I have worked have done at least one of the above...

I tried to hit up my local craft brewer and was told quite firmly that they had no interest in selling on giving away any ingredients.

I tried to hit up my local craft brewer and was told quite firmly that they had no interest in selling on giving away any ingredients.

Weeellll, you kinda got to hang around a lot so they start to recognize you. Dropping in cold probably doesn't work well.

that's too bad. my local brewery, Drake's brewery, is run by people who were and still are home brewers. the very first time i went in there i didn't call or ahead and they seemed excited to help me out with yeast. i've never asked about grain or anything else because trying to save time not money. some craft breweries are opened by beer lovers who never brewed at home so they may not be sympathetic to what appear to them as a random person asking for a freebie. who knows.

I just emailed one of my favorite local breweries to see if they would partake in this. I told them in the email to not feel obligated, as I know they are busy. The owner is really nice and I've talked with him one on one several times. Maybe next time I should wear a name tag (and my email signature).

Back