Your Hometown Ambient Yeast!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boerderij_Kabouter

Reaction score
After being thoroughly inspired by Landhoney and his spontaneous fermentation project:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=43888

I would like to hear if anyone else has done wild fermentations. Perhaps a list of locations and results? I live in Wisconsin where we have all sorts of apples, honey, cranberry, strawberry, blueberry.........

Do all these areas have wild yeasts? Does it have to be warm year round? I am so excited about starting an annual Guerze brew I can barely contain myself.

Chime in with thoughts, knowledge, scientific background, whatever you've got.

Cheers:mug:

I've never tried it, but I've unintentionally ended up with a few infections.

FYI, jusssoyaknow, Gueuze is blended lambics of varying ages. They'll make a batch of lambic every so often, then blend the new(1 year old) with the old (2-3 years old) to produce Gueuze. If you do that, it'd be sweet. But a single batch of soured brew would be a lambic.

Wild yeasts are everywhere and most yeast can go dormant or form spores to winter over.

Not my cup-a, but keep us posted.

That's what I'm talking about. My idea is to spontaneously ferment a batch annually in a different location (e.g. strawberry, blueberry, cranberry,...) and blend them for a more complex guerze. That sounds so awesome. I just want to know if it will work, or even have a chance. What time of year would be best? Landhoney mentioned cold weather to prevent other beasties dropping in. Would it be best to get your yeast strains when the fruit is ripe, or does it not matter?

Boerderij Kabouter said:
What time of year would be best? Landhoney mentioned cold weather to prevent other beasties dropping in. Would it be best to get your yeast strains when the fruit is ripe, or does it not matter?

http://www.babblebelt.com/newboard/thread.html?tid=1108752780&th=1187920498&pg=1&tpg=1&add=1

I think I posted this in my thread, but this thread above deals with time of year,etc for doing these. The cold is just to avoid high acetobacter levels, you don't want vinegar, so you try to avoid this guy when his numbers are up in the warmer months.

Back