Your go to brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salty-Dawg

Reaction score
I am new to home brewing (3 batches so far)

Coopers Canadian Blonde (bottled and carbonating)
Belgian Wheat. (Fermenting for a week and a half)
Big Ass Texas Brown Ale. (Fermenting for 4 days)

I decided to brew a few different beers to have a variety and to start coming up with a favorite go to brew.

That being said, i would like to hear from you guys what beer you brew as a go to as far as keeping beer to drink on a regular basis and the reasons why you choose that brew. Ie.....

taste, simplicity, brew time, fermentation time, bottle conditioning Time etc...

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this subject.

Cheers !
:mug:

For me, I alternate between belgian strongs, and 4C IPA. Always have one or another on tap.

For my wife it is a vanilla Porter.

The reasons are they are all 3 quick turnaround, and what we enjoy the most.

I'm easy. I like to drink a big double IPA. The Pliny the Elder recipe published by Vinnie at Russian River is something I always want around. I never tire of it.

Belgian enkel. I've tweaked the original recipe a bit, but it's solid now. It's also predictable, good for breaking in new gear or trying new yeast. I usually brew 10 gal of it, half clean and half to sour. I brew it at least once a month

I try to keep a lager on hand because they are so easy drinking and great with what ever is for dinner. Three taps for beer on my kegerator lets me keep a few others in rotation. In a pinch i'll brew Cream of Three Crops, you can't beat it for a quick turn around and a surprisingly good beer.

i always fall back to the scotish ale 60, its low alcohol and light on hops (not a big bitterness fan) i can drink a couple after work to relax and not get too heady.

I've only been brewing for about 3-4 years with any conviction. During that time I have rarely repeated a beer. I have recently decided that I want to keep a Bohemian Pilsner, an Irish Stout, and an American IPA on tap the majority of the time. I will also be adding a 4th faucet to my Keezer so I can have a seasonal tap.

I always have a house IPA on tap, and a pale ale or American red. Then, whatever else strikes my fancy but generally something hoppy, or something totally different from the others like an oatmeal stout.

I don't think I've ever repeated a recipe exactly, but I generally do an APA pretty often with minor tweaks. It's generally 2-row, Crystal 40 or 60, some Carapils, and the hop du jour.

Lately I've been keeping some version of Jukas' Row 2 Hill 56 clone on tap. I change up the hops and yeast, but I love that grainbill for a quaffable beer that showcases the hops. It also works out well for me because the most common base grains I like to keep in bulk for my other styles are a continental pilsner and MO.

Recently, I have been brewing a Citra IPA that I love. I brew it about every 4-6 weeks. Also been trying to get a session IPA in order as well to keep on tap all the time.

Helles.. I mean who doesn't like that? I brew that throughout the year. Regularly I also brew APA, and a darker offering (some kind of porter/stout).. Not regularly enough I brew malty German lagers... Dopplebock etc ( using my helles yeast cake)

Lately, I've had all ipas on tap. Now I have more kegs, I can put in some variety. I like the Centennial Blonde recipe for summer, German lager and ipas for spring and fall, and Stout and Porter recipes for winter.

In a little over a year of brewing, some variant of a Caramel Amber Ale recipe has shown up the most. I like it well enough, but it's also the biggest crowd-pleaser among the other folks who drink my beer; it's very accessible even to people who have never had anything but a light lager, which is the majority of mainland Chinese (where I live, in case you're on the app and can't see my location).

I'm moving toward my "I Can't Believe It's Not Bitter" IPA for my regular brew, though. Lots of hoppy goodness and quick turnaround, but the relatively low IBUs for an IPA make it good for the locals as well. Planning on brewing it again in a couple days - Holidays and a long primary on my RIS are killing the pipeline.

Back