your first "real" beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azfalcon

Reaction score
Ok so I just started my first batch (Irish Stout) in 2 years so I mine as well call it my first batch. Its a kit I picked up from a LHBS. If this all goes well and the taste is good I plan on trying the White house honey Ale or something that is a little more advanced...extra hops maybe a second ferment etc with the kits then try home recipes. Finally my question:

At what point did you all get out of the box kits and begin buying seperate hops, grains etc. Did you first try someone else recipe..maybe here or create your own?

I started with a little Mr Beer and after four batches with it, jumped into 5gal all-grain brewing. I brew mostly well reviewed recipes from here and from Brewing Classic Styles, but have just begun formulating my own recipes based on what I have found I like from past experience.

I started with all grain. Read the pop science article, googled how to make the equipment and went at it. Brewed centennial blonde. It was one awful beer. Learned fast that way though

I'm with BrewinHooligan. I started on a True Brew kit and jumped to all Grain by batch 3, it wasn't pretty though. Took me until about batch 4 or 5 to really get the feel for it, but I learned all along the way.

I was most excited to start building my own recipes. So I did that some, which can be rewarding as well as unfortunate in some cases. I'm now on batch 16 or so and typically find a base recipe that I can add and adjust the way I want.

Starting simple is key I feel.

Designed my first recipe after 3months brewing the house recipes at work, that first design of mine is still brewed and sells quickly.

Design is about research into style, flavors and what hops benefit your grain bill to bring it balance. You are gonna make some duds along the way, but if you aren't failing now and again you aren't pushing yourself very hard.

I have made what I would consider low grade beer I wasn't happy with, but it still drank and I learned what doesn't make a balanced design.

Edit: I have only ever brewed all grain, may try extract just to be familiar but AG is so easy I may not.

I am brewing extract and partial mash kits. I like them and consider them real beers. Tried and true recipes.

My first was an Oktoberfest about a year and a half ago. When I started brewing the kit I got from an online store, I realized I didn't know what some of the terms meant and I loaded up a youtube video and figured it out. I have had an experimental recipe and it turned out great, but the recipe was since lost. :( I am harvesting my yeast from primary for the first time today, just learning in steps.

Back