Your favorite recipe or kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
American Red from MoreBeer! (But dry hop with chinook)

Tie between West Coast Blaster and Jamil's Evil Twin. Close runners up are BYO's Old Rasputin Clone and Hoppiness is an IPA.

Although it's not a kit, this is my favorite extract recipe. I have an AG version too if someone wants it.

River Thames ESB
----------------
Brewer: dysphoria
Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
Batch: 5.00 gal - Extract

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.055 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 47 IBU
Recipe Color: 11° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.014
Alcohol by Volume: 5.3%
Alcohol by Weight: 4.2%

Ingredients
-----------
Pale liquid malt extract 7.00 lb, Extract, Extract
Crystal 60L 0.50 lb, Grain, Steeped
Torrified wheat 0.50 lb, Adjunct, Steeped

First Gold 6.5% 1.50 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes
Kent Golding 5.1% 1.00 oz, Whole, 10 minutes
First Gold 6.5% 0.50 oz, Pellet, 5 minutes
Kent Golding 5.1% 1.00 oz, Whole, 0 minutes

London ESB Ale yeast 2.00 smack packs, Yeast,
OR
Safale S-04 11.5g Packet, Yeast,

Notes
-----

Boil three gallons of water, cool and transfer to sanitized container(for top-up in fermenter).

Add 3 gallons of water to kettle, heat to 160F.

Add Crystal 60L and Torrified weat to grain bag and steep in kettle for 30 minutes(feel free to agitate the grain a bit to make sure it's evenly wetted).

After 30 mintues give the grain bag a couple good dunks and remove. Allow to drain thoroughly(squeeze it if you fancy).

Bring to a boil, add malt extract slowly - stir well to prevent scorching(I generally add the LME right before it comes to a boil).

Follow hop schedule as shown above.

Add 1 whirlfloc tablet (or a hearty pinch of Irish Moss) at 10 minutes left to boil.

At flameout, add final hop addition, stir, Chill.

Once wort has reached pitching temp, move to fermenter and top-up to 5 gallons with pre-boiled water from sanitized container.

Aerate well and pitch yeast.

*Note - Due to my experience with Wyeast London ESB under attenuation, I tend to either pitch two smack packs or use a starter.

If dry yeast is preferred, I have had excellent luck with a single 11.5g Safale s-04 packet.
(However, it should be mentioned for the newer brewer that this yeast can have some serious vigor. Ready the blow-off tube.)

My Fat Tire clone. I think it tastes better than the original.

8.25 lb 2 row
1 lb munich 10 L
.75 lb 80L
.5 lb Victory

mash 1 hr at 152 in 13 qt of water
batch sparge 1gallon 2X to achieve 4 gallon boil volume( only a 5 gallon pot using a gas stove top)

.75 oz Target 60 min
.5 Willamette 10 min
.5 E Kent Goldings at flame out
top off to 5.25 gallon in fermenter
i use us-05 dry yeast
2 weeks primary, 1 week secondary

One of my favorite kits that I've brewed is NB's Broken Spear Bitter. It was one of their seasonal/special releases that went along with a special release Wyeast 1882 Thames Valley II yeast.

Although the yeast isn't available, you can still piece together the rest of the recipe.

My favorite non-kit recipe is my own Belgian Dubbel recipe. It leans towards the spicier side of the style, using the Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes yeast and plenty of late additions of Liberty and Styrian Goldings hops.

Back