Your favorite extract kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
I'm hoping to get some ideas on what to brew next. My first two brews were clones from my LBS (Fuller's ESB and Racer 5). I'm thinking of ordering from Midwest, Austin brew supplies or northern Brewer for a change of pace.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of a tasty wheat but open to any recommendations that you guys really like.

Thanks!

My 2 favorites from Brewer's Best were the Summer Ale and the Whiskey Barrel Stout. Kolsch was good. Altbier also. Hell, all the BB kits were good-great!

If you brew em' right they are all pretty good. For a good lawn mower beer try Northern's T-Can & Bearcats Wheaton Beatdown Ale, I loved it, a bit light on ABV for me, so I suggest an ABV booster, maybe a honey addition late in the boil.

For good inexpensive partial mash kits try AHS, they have a budget line for $22.99 each before yeast. Comes out around $31.00 for the kit after yeast and alcohol boost. I just brewed the budget pale ale with the optional +1% ABV booster, and I orange zested it in the last 2.5 min. of the boil to spice it up a bit, plus I'm dry zesting. It should end up about 6.7% ABV.

I am drinking the NB Number Eight right now, about 4 mos old and getting more awesome by the month. If you can find the Dry Dock Apricot blonde, absolutely awesome summer beer, great w/ BBQ or steak.

Northern brewer Hope and King scotch ale is great. 2 months in bottle now and it just keeps getting better. 6% and smooth as can be.

Every kit from Northern Brewer i have bought turned out great. But to be honest i have just started ordering from AHS. Only because shipping is like half the price for me. I don't know why AHS shipping is so much cheaper then northern or midwest but it it. I haven't used any off AHS stuff yet but heard nothing but good reviews. Like i said all stuff i have got from northern brewers has been good and the few i got from midwest but shipping is becoming outrageous.

Most of my beers come from NB but I did try Austin's Double Chocolate Stout and it was really good. I wasn't so happy with the porter or promo stout I got from them.

I've done quite a few of austinhomebrew.com's kits- I really like their "clone" kit selection. I am a pale ale fan, but I've also done many others too.

Every one I have done is really good, but I never tried one of their lager kits.

Back