Your favorite beer might be giving you man boobs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, but are the phytoestrogens still biologically active after being boiled for an hour and potentially being chomped on by yeast? Further, what concentration would they end up being at in the beer? How much is in the hops and how efficiently are they extracted during the boil? I've done a lot of searching in the primary literature in the past, and nothing indicates that it is anything to be concerned about.

On the other hand, hops have long been used for medicinal proposes (before modern medicine), for example as an estrogen replacement supplement in post menopausal women, or as an anaphrodesiac in European monks to limit sex drive. It's also given rise to workplace hazards, like brewer's droop (I'm sure you can figure that one out) or early menstruation in girls who were picking hops. But in all of these cases, the people were exposed to way higher concentrations of hops than you would get out of a hoppy IPA. I have a feeling you'd have to blow up your liver, or put on a lot of weight (both of which are far more worrisome) before you got high enough concentrations from beer.

So I'll keep drinking my hoppy beers!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfONNfAjyrc&feature=player_detailpage#t=2[/ame]

It's alright, just get a Bro.

Drink and be Hoppy!

This story is being shuffled around a lot this week...was on wait wait don't tell me even. Fortunately for us the phytoestrogen in hops has an incredibly low bioavailability when consumed in a beverage. I wrote a paper on the anti-carcinogenic properties of hops for my senior nutrition paper and phytoestrogen came up a lot.

"According to research conducted by acclaimed herbalist and author Stephen Harrod Buhner..."

Well if he's an acclaimed herbalist who has done research, he must know all about biochemistry.

If IPAs could make my boobs bigger, I'd start buying hops by the pallet...

Sounds like you would hit it off well with SWMBO. Now if they find an ingredient that would make man boobs smaller, she might not mind my consumption so much.

It's also really hard to specifically pinpoint man boobs on hop estrogens vs a combination of excess calories and gettin' older

Back