Your experience with yeast bay belgian dry ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABVIBUSRM

Reaction score
Just made this thread to get feedback from those who have used this yeast..So for those who have used it let me know what you think

I ferment my meads and RIS with this. It is an awesome sugar chomper, took a 1.092 RIS to 1.010 in ......well I let all my beers go 3 weeks in primary and if they are bigger then 1.070 they go 4 weeks. I was on a beer journey through KC and took the Boulevard tour and fell in love with dark truth stout, so they use belgian yeast and I did too. The temp profile was like this. Pitch @ 64* wrapped in a blanket rose to 68* on it's own when it dropped to 67.5 I put the control to 74 and finish up the 4 week primary. This keeps the flavors in check for me. This yeast flavor is complimented by fruit in the melomels I do.

Just pitched on Friday into a heavily (citra) hopped Golden Strong. OG was 1.061 and I fully expect this one to dry out close to 1.000 - I'll update the forum once it's done. I had to pitch from the vial too because of a delayed delivery (USPS=lazy). Even without the starter it's still fermenting like a beast!

More experience reports please! I did a 8% belgian wit with it but was trying too hard with American hops (amarillo). It was a nice beer but I sensed the yeast and hops were not complimenting each other. Maybe just too much amarillo.

I want to do a light witbeir next week. As I research this yeast, I'm trying to see where it came from...what it is similar to....anything

My golden strong is still in primary but the samples are wonderful! I get a lot of bubble gum notes right now.
From what I've heard this is the house strain at The Bruery.

I had the bubble gum right at first. I I me that but it faded into n a few weeks. I'm hoping it'll linger if I have an IBU of <20

I used this in an extract batch. All Pilsen DME, some table sugar, moteuka through the boil. Added Brett Drie in secondary, then dry hopped with Nelson. Carved to 3.5 in corked Belgian bottles.

For finishing at 1.000 it still has a pretty nice mouth feel!

I used this strain several times late last year/early 2015. It's an attenuation monster, never once did I see less than 90% attenuation, except in an imperial stout I did with an OG of 1.144 (after some staggered sugar additions) that hit 17% ABV (best guess based on ABV calcs).

I kept the temp restrained (typically 60's) and really liked the character I got from it. I did a BGSA that made NHC 2nd round mini-BOS but did not medal, plus a Quad, and a Golden ale with Mosaic (plus the RIS). I'm going to give it another go soon here, and try testing it with the temps a little higher and see what the ester character does.

This yeast is a beast, every time I have used the stuff it has attenuated 90% to 95%, and quickly. I had a dubbel go from 1.065 to 1.006 in 5 days. It was a great beer!

I used this strain several times late last year/early 2015. It's an attenuation monster, never once did I see less than 90% attenuation, except in an imperial stout I did with an OG of 1.144 (after some staggered sugar additions) that hit 17% ABV (best guess based on ABV calcs).

I kept the temp restrained (typically 60's) and really liked the character I got from it. I did a BGSA that made NHC 2nd round mini-BOS but did not medal, plus a Quad, and a Golden ale with Mosaic (plus the RIS). I'm going to give it another go soon here, and try testing it with the temps a little higher and see what the ester character does.

Very nice! Do you have the recipe? We're adding a "winners circle" section to the website with recipes for people who placed in sanctioned competitions. Would love to see yours. You can also email it to me at [email protected] with your name, comp, and place.

Cheers!

Back