Your Diet, Health, and ...Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I've been doing a modified paleo for about 3 months now... I say "modified" because I do still drink beer, I've severely limited but not 100% eliminated dairy, and occasionally have peanuts.

My weight (I'm 6'5" and now 35):
Apr 29: 272.2 lbs
Jun 4: 255.5
Jul 1: 252.2
Aug 1: 244.4

We just had health screenings at work, and all that with a total cholesterol of 121, glucose and all the other indicators in normal/optimal/ideal range, and I feel good.

Now, I do think as mtnagel points out above, that a severely category-restricted diet also becomes a calorie-restricted diet, as I can't load up on, say, a big bag of potato chips in one sitting. But at the same time I don't actually worry about portion control so much because I can feel a LOT less guilty about the calories I consume -- nutritionally, they're far more nutrient-dense than most of what I'd been eating before.

Nice work man! 30lb in 3 months is about as good as you can get while still staying healthy. Nice cholesterol as well!

So I've been doing a modified paleo for about 3 months now... I say "modified" because I do still drink beer, I've severely limited but not 100% eliminated dairy, and occasionally have peanuts.

My weight (I'm 6'5" and now 35):
Apr 29: 272.2 lbs
Jun 4: 255.5
Jul 1: 252.2
Aug 1: 244.4

We just had health screenings at work, and all that with a total cholesterol of 121, glucose and all the other indicators in normal/optimal/ideal range, and I feel good.

Now, I do think as mtnagel points out above, that a severely category-restricted diet also becomes a calorie-restricted diet, as I can't load up on, say, a big bag of potato chips in one sitting. But at the same time I don't actually worry about portion control so much because I can feel a LOT less guilty about the calories I consume -- nutritionally, they're far more nutrient-dense than most of what I'd been eating before.
That's awesome man! While I poo poo on "fad diets", I also say do what works for you. If what you're doing works for you and you don't feel like you're constantly depriving yourself, then that's awesome. I just see so many people go overboard and severely restrict what they eat that it never could be a lifestyle change and that's really what it should be and not a "diet".

I've been low carb/no grains/ paleo-primal eating for over 3 years.

I drink plenty of beer (alcohol is metabolized differently than other carbs). I to not eat anything that comes out of a package, but I do drink coffee and other products from the grocery store when I want to.

I eat about 40-50% fat, 30-40% protein, and 20% carbs (like carrots and other veggies). I eat lots of venison, grass-fed beef and lamb, and tons of veggies. The fat I eat is hand rendered tallow, coconut oil, and olive oil (the olive oil is never heated). I don't eat grains very often at all.

I'm extraordinarily healthy with an athlete body fat percentage, and my cholesterol levels and fasting blood sugar level is low/normal. I have a very high energy level, and no "afternoon slump" anymore so this is a permanent way of life for me. I feel great! (I'm almost 50 and a grandmother).

I first got interested in "wheat belly" in early 2010. It's more complex than "don't eat processed food, eat real food", but that's the basic tenet of my lifestyle. I cut sugar out of my diet, in almost all forms, about 3.5 years ago. I don't eat sugar, honey, sugar substitutes, fruit juice, lemonade, etc, or even much fruit. I do eat berries, and veggies.

My diet is similar to this: perfecthealthdiehttp://perfecthealthdiet.com/the-diet/t.com/the-diet/
except that I don't eat the "safe starches" except for potatoes and sweet potatoes. I do not eat vegetable oils (except for coconut oil) or sugars, or legumes, or grains.

Yeah, I know you are extraordinarily healthy, in a very lovely way cuz I remember those rare and coveted pics of you with the kegs.

More exercise .... this goes A LONG way. Most people (me included) are carrying extra weight because of lack of activity..... more than "what" they eat. Stay active -
"If the furnace is hot enough, it will burn anything!"

Some things I try to do -
*1-4 beers 6 days a week for me.
*Try to eat more vegetables and fruit.
*Cut back on greasy meat. More fish, chicken....bake, grill. Don't fry.
*We eat VERY little out of boxes or bags - fresh food. Garden food.
*I get almost NO calories from beverages except for beer....... water, coffee and tea.. It is easy to rack up 1000 calories a day in beverages if you are not careful. I save all my liquid calories for beer:) No pop, not much milk, no "energy drinks."

More exercise.

Like a lot have said, stay away from processed and fast foods. I can honestly say it has been years since ive hit a drive through and im 27. My wife stays at home so we eat home cooked, healthy meals everyday except maybe once a month or so, when we order pizza or eat out. In 2011 weighed 240 pounds and im now hovering between 190-195. I changed very little about my diet other than portion sizes. Stop eating when youre not hungry anymore, not when "you cant eat another bite."

Im not a body builder by any means, but i hit the gym 4-6 days a week exclusively hitting the weights and upper body exercises. I have an injury that limits lower body activities.

Also, as another person said, exercising in the morning feels awesome and turbo starts your day. Nothinglike rolling into work peppy as everyone else is looking for the coffee pot. And youve already got it out of the way, give your energy to yourself and whats left over to your job.

I started home brewing in 2011 so its safe to say you can consume some brew and hold on to a descent body type. Ive dropped about 15% body fat over two years.

I was going to post a before and after shot for shirts and giggles but the app keeps crashing... oh well, cheers!

Edit- weird looks like it did somehow work...

ForumRunner_20130801_224219.jpg

And april or so this year

ForumRunner_20130801_224649.jpg

Through all that rambling i was really just trying to say: balance it all out, try different things and do what works for you.

JonM said:
One more thing: your metabolism, your body chemistry, your gut flora, your body's energy demands based on your activity, etc. are unique. Don't try to fit them into some rigid formula of x calories per day/ y% of which is this or that, etc. if your body is telling you it's hungry and needs more fuel, eat something - but make it a good something like nuts, fresh fruit, yogurt, etc.

Agreed.

Trey57 said:
Been enjoying these responses - I'll try only drinking Vodka for the next 3 weeks and then report back, seems like the least effort to implement.

I'm starting to convert to the theory a calorie is not a calorie, the way your body handles them: I was definitely on the other side of this fence before. Beer creates some significant issues with this, primarily controlling blood sugar.

Vodka- I tried that and put on about five pounds in a month. I am very stable with weight, rarely losing or gaining anything in less than 2-3 months, regardless of diet.

I have very poor habits in general. Breakfast is coffee and cigarettes, maybe I'll eat lunch if there's something easy available. I never "exercise" intentionally, but my job does include walking around a bit and occasional heavy lifting.
I eat weird stuff and drink lots of beer. No salt restriction. I figure my calorie intake averages over 3,000 several days a week. But I've been avoiding many carbohydrates in breads, pastas, desserts, etc. I do believe they're unhealthy.

Took my B/P twice this week, one was 85/58, tonight was 95/65. My long-ago cholesterol totals were 116 and 125. I have a physical exam scheduled soon, and am curious about what a doctor has to say.

I'm convinced that diet/environment play a huge role in health, and also that genetics contribute greatly. If you find a diet and lifestyle that keeps you feeling good and away from doctors, rock on!

Every person is different and everyone responds to different diets differently. I've tried low carb approaches, but this killed me. I'd be totally lethargic and would get really bad headaches, especially at the gym. For me personally, I respond better to low fat, medium carbs, high protein. Typically, I take in over 300 grams of protein, between 150-200 grams of carbs, and less than 50 grams of good fats. I also typically workout 5-6 times a week.

As for the beer, I usually only drink beer on the weekends when I'm being extra strict. But if I'm not being extra strict, a beer or two on the weekdays won't kill me. If I were getting ready for a competition or something, I'd be super strict. But since I'm not and just want to stay in good shape and be healthy, I don't worry too much about a couple of beers here or there. I think a lot of people put too much emphasis on the day to day calories as opposed to your intake over a week or a month. You didn't get fat overnight, nor will you lose it overnight. It's a marathon. If you caved and had a few too many beers over a weekend, just be super strict and cut your calories slightly for the following few days, and you will likely be just fine. In other words, don't lose any sleep because one day you ate 500 calories over your limit. Cut an extra 150-200 out for the next few days and you'll be good. Of course there is a a point where common sense must take over (not eating for a week, then pigging out on 15,000 calories in one day to make up for it, is not very healthy).

I don't know where you live but at most supermarkets in the US food travels great distances - alot the time they are picked unripe and chemicals are used to ripen them. Tomatoes are a great example.

Often food is coming from say Chile - every hour it has been off the plant it is losing nutritional value - some times it will take a week to get to you supermarket.

Picking right off the vine will you give you the maximum vitamin content, fiber or whatever you want to measure.

Shopping at a farm or a farmers market will help but supermarkets are the worst places to buy veggies.
Hmmm, I suppose that makes sense. But I don't agree with your alarmist view that supermarket veggie are BAD and will give you nothing.

beersk said:
Hmmm, I suppose that makes sense. But I don't agree with your alarmist view that supermarket veggie are BAD and will give you nothing.

I wasn't trying to be alarmist per say I was just letting hop growers know that it's not too hard to cross over to veggies.

Supermarkets aren't bad, it's just not going to give you the most bang for your buck if you are talking about health. Do I think the food system in the US is totally messed up? Yes but that's not what this post is about.

I was just trying to give my take on eating healthy - it's not for everyone but growing as large a portion of my own food or buying it from local growers or fisherman really works for me health wise. I get the most for my dollar.

I wasn't trying to be alarmist per say I was just letting hop growers know that it's not too hard to cross over to veggies.

Supermarkets aren't bad, it's just not going to give you the most bang for your buck if you are talking about health. Do I think the food system in the US is totally messed up? Yes but that's not what this post is about.

I was just trying to give my take on eating healthy - it's not for everyone but growing as large a portion of my own food or buying it from local growers or fisherman really works for me health wise. I get the most for my dollar.

Well then all I have to say to that is right on, man. I would to grow veggies too, but don't live in the proper house/area for it (rental).

beersk said:
Well then all I have to say to that is right on, man. I would to grow veggies too, but don't live in the proper house/area for it (rental).

Cool - see if there is a community gardens where you live - I rent as well but we have plots on an old farm here that went rent each year for growing.

It has all been said before but thought I would add that most exercise/nutrition plans now suggest 5-6 small meals throughout the day to get your body working and burning calories. I do P90X and Insanity, plus chase a 3 year old around. Eat healthy and lean but ALWAYS have a cheat day. I normally only drink maybe 2-3 beers during the week total, but more on friday and saturday.

Being healthy is always a battle, but it is very simple. Eat better and exercise. I'm very lucky because I have a fast metabolism when I eat like crap I actually lose weight. but when I eat right my head feels clearer, my mood is better, and I have energy. exercise is easy for me also because I have a full gym at my work and go 4 or 5 days a week on my lunch break. If I didn't have that I would probably never make it to the gym.
As for beer I limit myself to 1or2 on weeknights only a couple times a week. But on weekends I pretty much don't put a limit on it.
I consider myself a pretty fit individual and always try to stay active.
Its all about moderation.

AND exercise (vigorous exercise, that is) makes me sleep like a rock. Good, restful, restorative sleep will do wonders for your energy level, mood, attention and focus, and just overall feel-goodedness.

Another reason for moderation - too much beer will mess with your sleep (at least it does for me) even with vigorous exercise.

AND exercise (vigorous exercise, that is) makes me sleep like a rock. Good, restful, restorative sleep will do wonders for your energy level, mood, attention and focus, and just overall feel-goodedness.

Another reason for moderation - too much beer will mess with your sleep (at least it does for me) even with vigorous exercise.

+1 quality sleep is very important for health. For a male that's when your body produces testosterone

It has all been said before but thought I would add that most exercise/nutrition plans now suggest 5-6 small meals throughout the day to get your body working and burning calories.

So I've been told, but I have trouble trying to do this... I'm too busy at work to remember to eat anything at the "snack" hours, and frankly don't usually eat anything all day.

Morning: Coffee. Black. Lots.
"Lunch": Some days, nothing. Some days, unsalted trail mix and cashews out of the vending machine. Rarely, down to the cafeteria for a salad.
Afternoon: Water / [unsweetened] tea
Dinner: Typically as soon as I get home around 6 PM. Often large portions, as my wife sometimes cooks meals meant for four people that only she, I, and our 6 year old are eating -- so I'll often have 2 or 2.5 portions.
After dinner: snack on what I can within the paleo diet... If we have anything in the house
10 PM - midnight: Beer or Scotch. More snacks if they exist in the house

And yet the weights falling off since starting Paleo...

+1 quality sleep is very important for health. For a male that's when your body produces testosterone

I should be better about this. I rarely get more than about 5 hours a night.

I was diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis at about the same time I started homebrewing. Typically the biggest triggers of problems are wheat and dairy, so I cut those out of my diet. I also found that almonds give me trouble so I cut them out as well. I still drink beer but limited amounts and I avoid wheat beers. I'm not a huge person anyway (5' 6", 135 lb woman) so one or two beers a couple times a week is plenty for me. I avoid processed foods and exercise regularly, so as long as I don't get carried away with the beer I can drink it without much trouble.

Stared the Paleo diet two weeks ago and I really like it. Haven't had a beer in weeks. I will start back with my usual 1-2 beers a day when I reach a decent weight goal.
My son and I started a combined P90X and bike riding regimen. Since P90X is broken into upper body and lower body days, we workout on the upper body days and bike 15+ mile on the lower body days. I have lost about ten pounds so far.
I have to say beer brewing was partly responsible for making the Paleo diet much easier. I can now sous vide in bulk thereby having meat pre-cooked and seasoned ready to go at any given moment.

I travel for a living, so I only drink beer on the weekends. While I'm on the road, work pays for everything, so I joined a gym and only eat protein (somewhat paleo). I've been able to maintain my weight for 2 years (although I'm still not as low as I'd like), but I feel better about the amount of beer I drink on the weekends.

My thinking is, as long as I'm strong enough to pick the SWMBO up and throw her on the bed, I'm doing alright.

I usually limit my beer consumption to the weekends. I eat fairly well during the week but the weekends are when I indulge in all my pleasures. Besides I'm just getting into homebrewing so most of my beer comes from the store and it gets pricey.

But I run 40 miles a week so really I could get away with as much beer as I wanted from a fitness perspective.

Ugh. That's how I feel about this thread. Since getting hurt at work 9 months ago and not being able to do much of anything besides walk normally for 3 quarters of a mile before being in pain I've gained a bunch. Always been active sports wise and the combo of not doing any of that and eating the same has not gone well.

I'm doing what I can now diet-wise and once sept is over (crazy work month for the wife) kicking it back into gear for myself and the family. Certainly better for everyone.

Beer helps to keep me from going insane so 2-3 a few nights a week keeps depression, stress, and all other related animals at bay. It's very hard to go on a strict diet as well as cut out beer without going over the deep edge.

Back