YOUR all-time favorite recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
OK, what are your all-time favorite recipe and why?

I like big beers, Imperial IPA, Barley Wine, Russian Imperial Stouts. If I had only one to drink it would be the Imperial Stout.

Of all the recipes for Imperial Stout I have made the one I would take over all the others is the original 8-8-8. It is plenty big, but you can have a couple without finding yourself laughing at Will Ferrel movies. Lots of hops, nice roast character, with a good ale ester to round it out.

Of course, there is always the beer I have going in the fermenter...

Hands down my favorite is my smoked porter (in my sig).

It was the best smoked porter I have had and was reviewed by three beer industry guys as very very good. It is smokey enough to give you that edge, but a great session beer as well.

That is the only thing I have brewed that has been knock your socks off good.

That does look like a tasty recipe. From the red eyes in the second picture I would say you enjoyed some of your other creations as well!

Mine was lost to my inexperience. It was my first ever non MrBeer extract. I was in a low stocked LHBS and tried to make a recipe for bitter that I found in a book. EVERYTHING got substituted based on wild uninformed guesswork. I have no idea what the eventual syle was, but it tasted great!! :D

My favorite? One I've yet to add to the database here. P'raps I'll do that directly; it's not as though it hasn't been brewed a couple dozen times by me and lots by other people.

Easy-drinking yet flavorful. My take on Premium/Special Bitter. This is the scaled-down version of the 5bbl-size batch I brewed regularly at the last brewpub for which I worked. There called "Red Beret Ale", it's now called...

Pride of Raubsville

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 7.50
Anticipated OG: 1.040 Plato: 10.03
Anticipated SRM: 7.7
Anticipated IBU: 33.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
80.0 6.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
10.0 0.75 lbs. Crystal 55L Great Britian 1.034 55
10.0 0.75 lbs. Demerara Sugar Generic 1.041 1

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.75 oz. Target Pellet 10.00 33.6 60 min.
0.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 0.0 0 min.
0.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----

DCL Yeast S-04 SafAle English Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 6.75
Water Qts: 8.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 2.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.19 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 152 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 168 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 175 Time: 10

Total Mash Volume Gal: 2.54 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

With not even a year of regular brewing and only 25 or so total batches under my belt I'm not sure if I should chime in, but you asked. The WPA in my recipes is by far the best beer I've brewed. I'd drink this one at the local if I couldn't brew. I really like wheat beers and I really like hops. This one is the perfect combo. I'm thinking about doing a double soon because the only thing lacking from this one is some punch.

...Of all the recipes for Imperial Stout I have made the one I would take over all the others is the original 8-8-8....

Having drank several of yours, I concur. :D

For me...if I were on an island and stuck with one endless keg of beer...prolly my Kona Clone.

Rich and malty. Fresh and hoppy. Not too bitter. And I'd bet it goes well with a constant diet of coconuts and sand crabs.

Bells Two Hearted Clone. It's in my recipe locator. I've always loved it! However, I can't wait for my next beer. It always has the potential to be my fav. I think that keeps me going. :mug:

I hate threads like these. After having my eyes opened to the world of real beer, I can't settle on one beer. My favorite style is IPA, but even then I find myself having strong cravings for Belgians, Stouts, etc....

Red Baron Bock

I had previously been making an extract bock recipe from Gambrinus' mug, but one of the main ingredients ceased to imported to the U.S., so I was left to my own devices to try and replicate it as best I could. This AG recipe is pretty darned close, I'd say........

Janet's Brown Ale from Brewing Classic Styles. Only recipe I have ever brewed twice.

Malty backbone of an American Brown, hoppiness of an IPA.

My Vienna+NB SMaSH is my fav, the Cream Ale is delectable, my Irish Rye Stout is very unique, and my steam beer is always a treat.

I like my Blood Ale, but it's too full for regular consumption. I also haven't quite got the AG recipe down yet.

russian imperial that we made, it was extract and i don't have the recipe. Problem with the really heavy beers is my buddy. The three of us brew, and we each have a purpose. I try to guide them through new ideas and methods, my one buddy keeps us going with a passion for brewing and beers, and my other buddy tries to convince the both of us that we need to double any recipe we attempt

That's what made our russian stout crazy, we just let him go nuts, add tons of extract, demara sugar, honey, a small amount of coffee, and grain. Yeah, we added real coffee, wtf! lol. It was completely out of no where, but it came out GREAT. It was something like 12%abv with a final grav of 1.02x i don't even remember the specifics.

My HHIPA Violation IPA. It's hands down the best beer I've ever made. I just did a 10 gal batch with some hop mods and a 90 minute boil. The recipe is in the IPA section. Also BM's summit pale ale is my wife and sister in laws favorite.

I would have to say my faorite recipe was my Kolsch that I made a couple years ago when I was living in a colder climate and could use my basement to age that beer. It was esentially the Long Trail Kolsch recipe from Northo American clone brews, but I used cascades for the floavoring hops, and I really feel like that made the difference. Delicious! Need to find a way to cold condition some beer here in the south to make that one again. Brewing my first PM IPA today though, so you never know!

My Favorite Recipe Ever is my Rye IPA in my Sig. I dont know how I came up with it but it turned out fantastic. Its just expensive to brew it.

Has to be the Church of Chocolate Brown. I like browns and there just aren't all that many available. Pelican's Dorryman's Dark is a great beer, but it's almost a sweet porter. My favorite brewmaster (Mark at GVB) makes a nice one, but he only does a batch when his GF makes him.

Back