Young Cider Vinegar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

accroul

Reaction score
I'm about 3 weeks in primary. OG was 1.050, it's now 1.008. It has an abv of 6%. I had a wee taste & it was slightly warm with a mild tart but acidic taste.
It was at 1.008 yesterday & today & will check again tomorrow.
Would that taste be normal for 3 weeks, or am I likely to have made cider vinegar to give away at xmas?

Taste could be cause its only three weeks old, give it a little time probably allright. Any fermented beverage will taste off when its still young.

If you are patient enough to wait until Christmas I'd think you would have some tasty cider on hand. If not the cider vinegar is a great base for a pulled pork sauce...

I really hope it's not cider vinegar! I know I was being rather hopeful in tasting it at 3 weeks, but I guess it's one way to learn the craft! Roll on Xmas !

If you sanitize everything I doubt its ruined, when I have tasted my cider real young its allways tart with a sharp edge almost acidic like you said you would be amazed at what even a few more weeks will do to the taste.

With my last batch I turned a gallon into vinegar. Trust me, you will know if it is vinegar. Young cider tastes a little like vinegar but go to the store and buy a bottle of Bragg's cider vinegar and compare. Tastin like vinegar and being vinegar are two different things! If worse comes to worse, keg it and pour some raspberry extract in, carb it, and drink it up. After the first glass you won't be tasing vinegar anymore!

Back