Young Blue Cheese

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Kimble

Reaction score
Young Blue that has been aging for about 10 days.
Instead of buying penicillium candidum, I bought a small wedge of smooth blue from Rogue River Creamery in Oregon and blended it with heavy cream. I added that to the milk and the blue has sprouted beautifully. I poked holes through the cheese at about 7 days to facilitate the spread of the blue throughout. It is currently resting at 54-56F and between 85%-95% humidity in my cheese cave fridge.
I will report back every few days with pictures!

Attachments

• IMG_20181016_094337816.jpg
    IMG_20181016_094337816.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 113
I am curious - and if this looks like a hijack I apologize but I sometimes find blue mold growing on my cheese. How do I know whether the blue mold that volunteers is a blue mold that is preferred vs a mold that I should remove and otherwise inhibit...

I honestly have no idea. I had a few very technical questions about a previous cheese I made that I was able to get answered by talking to the folks at New England Cheese Making. Ill include the guys info below and you can send him an email (include pictures if you have it).
Jim Wallace
New England Cheesemaking Supply Tech
Jim the TekGuy
[email protected]

Back