You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you seriously consider calling you home-working wife from work, and have her go and check the fermenter and tell you how it looks and behaves, multiple times during the day...

Close for me, I work nights. Called my wife at 3 am thinking I left the RO water running all day. I was 100% sure I was going to have a flood

While preparing a bowl of cold breakfast cereal, you figure out the grain bill, grain temperature, batch size, and mash temperature. But wonder if your bowl size is sufficient for mashing at the proper milk to grain ratio of 1.5 qts/lb. Then you thoughtfully consider how long to mash and how often you should mix, if at all, before lifting spoon to mouth.

You spend $80 on brewing ingredients for a 5 gallon batch of IPA. No local brewing supply near me so all from Amazon. 2 types DME, 40L caramel malt and 3 hops. Luckily I had yeast and 1 out of 4 hop varieties on hand. Only my 3rd batch. Thermostat is on the way for my fridge fermentor.
Check out Atlantic Brew Supply. They should be cheaper than that!

Check out Atlantic Brew Supply. They should be cheaper than that!
Wow I like their "straight to the point" attitude.
Screenshot_20210325-090704_Chrome.jpg

i tell everyone, if i don't get the bottle back no more beer i like to say if it comes back clean bonus points.
A friend of my husband returned the bottles, but never bothered to rinse them out! Like the soup nazi, I said. “No more beer for you!”

You hear about the blockage of the Suez Canal and wonder how much European malt or Asian stainless steel is part of the growing backlog.

When you see headlines about "the Suez blockage" and assume it's about Czech hops gumming up a recirculation pump...

When you ask some one you know, that has been known to sell certain things (we'll call them herbs) what pocket scale they would recommend for weighing grams to .01 so you can weigh out your brewing salts more accurately.

when i read your post the days after weighing out 550mg's of malt, and 33mg's (one kernel) crystal malt to test for color...and try and remember what cheap mg scale i bought years ago to recomend.....

edit: here's the one i have...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164256390237?epid=1213461838&hash=item263e719c5d:g:u-0AAOSwFnFWBt~G

Last edited:
You know you're a frustrated homebrewer when, after sipping on the almost-perfect copy of the IPA that won a couple of medals (and some sweet swag) last year, you spend at least 5 minutes cursing this d*mned pandemic thing for cancelling all the local competitions. This darling concoction would have won again, hands down, yes I'm biased but I don't care. Oh well, more for me....

When you make the dumb, easily avoidable mistake of not measuring a brand new mini fridge before purchasing, get it home and discover that the door won't close with the 2.5 gallon keg you wanted to use sitting inside the fridge. Then, when you check to see if you can return the fridge, it turns out that it's considered a major appliance purchase and not eligable for return or refund. So, you spend the next several days scouring the DIY section here on HBT for ideas, because you're too stubborn to let your dumb luck keep you down for long but too broke at the moment to just go buy a bigger fridge. :rolleyes:

When you make the dumb, easily avoidable mistake of not measuring a brand new mini fridge before purchasing, get it home and discover that the door won't close with the 2.5 gallon keg you wanted to use sitting inside the fridge. Then, when you check to see if you can return the fridge, it turns out that it's considered a major appliance purchase and not eligable for return or refund. So, you spend the next several days scouring the DIY section here on HBT for ideas, because you're too stubborn to let your dumb luck keep you down for long but too broke at the moment to just go buy a bigger fridge. :rolleyes:
Put a collar on the door like the collar on the keezers so the kegs fit (search keezer builds).

When you're up in the wee sma's after having fell asleep on the couch too early the night before, sitting in the garage/brewery sipping on something tasty, trying to think of what you need to order for the brewery and cannot think of a darn thing other than grain, that the husband has graciously given permission to buy that day because he's going to the bowling alley to look at and try out new bowling balls. Which means there will be a new one in his "arsenal" (yes that's really what bowlers say) by the end of the day.

Back